5 months post TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 5.months post TKR, I had a.manipulation 27th March, my bend is 115 degrees , I'm still experiencing that block of cement feeling, is this normal? I thought I would be on the road to a.full recovery by now, my knee is still collapsing after sitting for long periods of time . I have started swimming and I exercise daily. Any advice would be appreciated x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there your who I'm looking for advice from actually. I'm 18 days from TKR and may need manipulation. I can barely bend my knee its like a dead heavy log In dragging around. Did manipulation help did they do it at hospital under anesthesia was the pain like 1st waking up from original take?? I'm sorry I am doing the asking but its nothing like the guidance I've found here from real people that are walking in my same shoes!

• Posted

Hi Angela.

I wouldn't of thought they would do a manipulation this early as it's only 18 days, mine was done at 3 months. Yes it was done under General anaesthetic as a day case in hospital, the procedure only takes about 15-20 minutes, I know everyone is different with pain but I found it excruciating after for about a week, my whole leg and back, it's just where they bend you about. They got 130 degrees while I was under but I can only get 115 -120 . X

• Posted

Thank you so much for quick response I've been so stressed and worried I was already back in hospital due to severe swelling and pain! I'm taking antibiotic for infection and Drs still haven't tweeked my pain meds to give me proper relief which without makes physical therapy Impossible!! And I have a high pain tolerance Ive had natural child births that didn't hurt like this! What pain meds did u take after manipulation and is there any advice you can give for comfortable ways to sleep or tips to avoid manipulation. Thank You So Much.

• Posted

I take meptazinol which is morphine based with a couple of paracetamol, I put a small pillow under my knee or between my legs for a comfortable sleep, must admit I still havnt had a decent sleep since I had it done. I thought I would sail through this as I've had 2 children , but I can honestly say I'd rather have 10 kids than go through this pain again lol xx

• Posted

I would like to know about the manipulation too Natalie. Angela, 18 days is very early days. Knee ops take a long time to recover, I am 19 weeks into recovery and still suffer from stiffness and swelling.  Patients is the key and not over doing things. 
  • Posted

I had TKR 2/16/17. I was manipulated 5/27/17. It was 3 months in after trying PT, which left me in tears every session. Believe me, it just takes time!  This is a marathon, not a sprint. You WILL get better.  My left knee will need replaced in about 2 more years. I am 68 so I’ll be looking at another TKR at 70!  I found that pressure - steady pressure got me to my full 130. Also, be sure you have a good PT person. I had one that pushed my knee - jerked it, but when she went on vacation, another therapist got me to 125 easy. The rest I did on my own. Best of luck. You’ll get there 
    • Posted

Thank You So Much. When you say steady pressure got you to 130 what do you mean? And good rehab workout tips you can recommend?
  • Posted

I had a TKR including knee cap on 10th October 2017. I had a manipulation In May. I was the same pain wise after as I was immediately before. I was walking around in two days....could have been because mine was some 8 months after! It's still stiff after sitting and fills like a block of cement but the manipulation got me a bit more bend...to 125 but unfortunately failed to get it straight. I'm hoping the stiffness in my knee gets better with time

• Posted

My husband had tkr in Jan the Phycial therapy said once you have that surgery he would never be able to be on a wrestling mat due to his new knee ....well never tell my husband he won’t be able to do anything because he’ll die trying... he road a bike to my sons home yesterday 5 mile there and 5 miles back ....oh and I had tkr on may 2nd in going into my 5 wk he pushed me in a good way by saying did you do your exercises today and then we stretch every night together he swore if I stretched a little every day I would feel better I don’t stretch to the extent of it hurting just a little stretch and I’m doing everything I was doing when my knee way good.....oh and also when my  pt came to Are house which is the same one that did my husbands he showed him that he can bend his knee and get on the Matt again....I THINK ITS BECAUSE WE HAD THE BED DR IN NC

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.