5 months since band and 4 months no loss HELP

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All

It's just over 5 months since I had my band fitted and I am booked in for my 5th fill on Friday.

I am really struggling to stay positive. Immediately after my op I lost around 9lb in a week or so but since then nothing. I go down a few pounds i go up a few pounds. I am unable to eat large meals and I still when I feel full after 5/6 bites, I go boxing 3 hours a week and have a personal trainer two days on top of that. I am currently lingering at 23st 12 and just nothing will come off.

Any advice or words of encouragement welcomed!

Gargs

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

*I stop when I feel full
  • Posted

Hi. I would contact your consultant and find out why. So sorry you are going through this, must be tough. I hope you get it sorted you have gone to a lot of trouble to make changes. Keep strong

best wishes

Alison

• Posted

God u must be feeling down as I would be totally frustrated. I'd pick your consultant brains as that's not really what should be happening x

• Posted

just stick with it till you reach that 'sweet spot' or ultimate level of restriction - which after 5 fills you could be nearing soon - maybe switch things around a little - eat protein rather than carb based foods - perhaps get some input from your bariatric team - see if they have any pearls of wisdom -- agoodluck  

• Posted

Keep filling! If the fluid is getting into your band then you will eventually get to the point where you simply cannot eat much.

I went as high as I could tolerate, to the point where I had to have some taken out because I couldn't keep any solids down.

Now, I eat one meal a day, usually at night as this seems to relish the best time for me to be able to retain a reasonable meal.

If I didn't like biscuits in the day time and a little more wine than I should, I'd be as this as a rake 😄

• Posted

What sort of band was fitted? Have u not discussed your lack of weight loss with the nurse who fills your band??
    • Posted

just a band not sure what kind. My surgeons work on a slowly slowly basis apparently!! They band was left unfilled for the first month then I go back once a month for a fill. I have had 6 fills now and I do feel the restriction. I get stuck quite a lot and am sick but I think that's me kind of rebelling against the fact I spent all this money and have had no results really. I could have easily lost more weight without it if I'm honest. Still only about 16lb loss since band was fitted in may.

• Posted

No.....your experiencing the norm....I vomited loads as I tried to still eat what I was used to before the band....it's been 4 years now and have come to accept the fact I will never eat bread, McDonald's or pizza ever again!! Stick with it....I promise you will get there!!

• Posted

I'm the same as you, I got my gastric band in May 2016, I've had 7 fills which takes me up to 14mls of fluid in my band and I have lost only one stone in weight, I too am disappointed and the nurse that fills my band says it's working????? I don't feel it is, I should have lost a lot more than a stone in 7 months

• Posted

Hello I had my band fitted April 13 2016 so One month before you I was 24 stone then list on shakes so day of op I was 22 stone 11 I've had ups and downs and had to be rushed in for a empty in November as a pouch happened yesterday I had a fill again so 5 ml total in now my band only holds 10 ml total. I got down to 17.4 but gained when it got emptied so today back up to 18.4 so still lost 6 stone stick with it . It's hard work but worth it.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Sarah, I had a fluid check on my band last week and the 14.5mls are still there so I know it's not leaking. Spoke to the dietician and she definitely believes that my band is faulty so I'm waiting on the surgeon getting back to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.