5 weeks after ankle surgery broken fibula

Posted , 4 users are following.

hey, its been five weeks since i broke my fibula and i had to have surgery. its now a week till my six week check up. there is still pain and more pain since ive been able to move it more as i was put in a boot so i could take it off and flex my ankle so i dont get stiff, theres a sort of lump on the inside of my ankle and im just wondering is that normal? also wondering what should i expect at my six week check up could i possibly be allowed too start wb? 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm exactly 5mths post fibula fracture today.

I still had pain when moving the ankle at 5 weeks, mostly due to the ligament and tendon damage also caused. This takes a lot longer to heal.

I don't know if all 6 week check ups are the same, but mine was x-rays and then the surgeon checked them, and then said the bone looked like it was healing well, so he called the physio in and the physio showed me how to begin to weight bear. This was in a big public hospital outpatients in Australia, so the orthopedic physios are in the clinic - the clinic session was only for orthopedic injuries that day. They set aside the clinics for different specialities on different days so that the whole team can be there.

Weight bearing really sucks when you first start again. It is painful, and scary. The nerves in your foot need to get used to the feeling of pressure again so a lot of the pain is nerve reconnections, and then there is a different type of pain that is pushing too hard on the fracture sight; and the fact that any damaged ligaments and tendons are not fully healed yet. BUT, once you are cleared to start weight bearing, you do need to get moving, because it encourages the bone to repair stronger and the nerve pain, for me, stopped after a few days, and then it was just getting the strength and stability back. That took a long time, I still do not have full strength in parts of my calf.

I also have a lump but its on the outside of my ankle around the top of the plate. No one is really sure the cause. Make sure you mention it at the check up. They sent me for additional xrays but there was nothing visible. Just waiting to see if it goes away on its own.

• Posted

Hi Pip, I'm nearly four weeks in after fibula surgery and have been in an aircast boot for two weeks, with my follow-up appointment at six weeks and like you still feeling pain.

How did you get on at your six week check up?

• Posted

hey louise , i had my six week check up and im ready to start full weightbaring starting off with as much weight as i can handle im happy its been a very long process and still time to go but at least this is the start, i went back too college today and have been walking round with my crutches and so far so good even managed a step, good look and i hope your back on your feet in no time x

• Posted

Hi Pip, good to hear you are back to College and are able to take a step. It is definitely a long old process and I will be so glad when I have two feet firmly on the ground. All the best with your recovery, Louisex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.