5 weeks after surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Its been 5 weeks since I had surgery for complete rupture of Achilles tendon, I had a donor graft and reconstruction ,went straight into a cast ,had stitches out 2 weeks ago and a new cast put on ,every seemed to be going well .the last 2 days I've been in agony but the pain is all the way down my shin ,which seems weird ,its more painful than the original injury ,has any one else had the same thing happen ,thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

HEY! I FEEL THE SAME WAY OMG I WAS THINKING I WAS CRAZY! i had a complete rupture too, and i had my surgery about 4-5 weeks ago. do you get really exhausted easily too? bc ive been going to school for 1/2 days switching off mornings and afternoons every other day. but if i dont take a nap or sleep in i get crazy exhausted and i start getting more pain...

i hope you and your tendon are healing wonderfully and quickly!

p.s. i was talking to my dad and he said that he talked to one of his friends who had an achilles rupture about 5-6 years ago and still gets random shots of pain to where the rupture was! (i just wanted to inform you for the long haul!) :-)

• Posted

Thanks for your rep!y ,yes I do get really tired but in my case its from boredom lol ,I hope your recovery goes well

• Posted

and yes, as i didnt cry or show signs of pain (besides falling over when this all happened), i feel like e v e r y t h i n g is very very painful. i have a very high pain tolerance as i have gotten stitches 4x and cried for one bc i was 6. and there are times where i cry bc the pain just hurts so so bad! my doc gave me some oxycodone stuff and sometimes even that doesnt even help all the way, i will still be in, now a tolerable amount, of pain. i hope everything goes well, i'm glad that i'm not the only one experiencing that pain too!
  • Posted

Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear about the pain.  I am just over 4 weeks down the line but did not have surgery so after the initial cast (1 day) I was put in the boot.  I don't get the sort of pain you are getting but obviously cannot walk properly yet.  I do get jabbing pains all around my leg particularly at night which I put down to sleeping in an awkward position but obviously without regular exercise my biggest 'problem' is that I can see my leg gradually withering away as the muscle definition reduces.  Hopefully I will be able to 're-exercise' it into shape but I know from past experiences that will take a lot of exercise to achieve - which is all part of the long haul.

I also find I get sleepy now these days mainly through the boredom because I cannot work because my job is a physical one whatever I do.  Am going to start pottering in the garden on a daily basis after I have been back to hospital for my first assessment so hopefully that will be that start of getting back into things.

As regards your pain I would strongly suggest you speak to your GP/physician/hospital about it and try to get some answers and perhaps some suggestions.  You need to be able to manage the pain otherwise it becomes very debilitating.  Bit like Chinese torture I suppose.  Anyway, good luk with it, hope you sort it soon

Regards, Chris

• Posted

Hi Mary, The pain in the shin i thought i was the only one! since being out the boot and walking about i had pain down my shins. I asked my physiotherapist about my shin pain and she made me try insoles (which you can get from boots for about £18-£20) designed for people with flat feet. after about 2-3 weeks the pain was gone. hope that helps.
    • Posted

I'm still in a cast but thank you will keep that in mind when the cast comes off

• Posted

In that case i didn't have pain in my shin pre cast, post cast soon as i was back in shoes after a week walking about that is when the pain began. but since shoe insoles which i still wear today, no pain.
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies ,I'm still in a lot of pain ,went to my gp who said "keep it elevated" so wasn't much help at all as its always elevated, I'm giving it until tomorrow if its no better I will take myself to local hospital
    • Posted

Hi Mary,

Hope you're shin pain is reducing. Typical response from GP because they don't have the expertise or experience.  I have started to get the 'shin jabbing' occasionally now, particularly after doing some work involving using the leg.  Am off to hospital for first check up so will include it in my list of questions and will get back to you if they come up with anything that may be of use to you.

Keep going girl,  Chris

• Posted

Hi Mary,

Sorry for late reply.  Have to say  the consultant I saw yeaterday was very good in that he didn't bombard me with jargon or what I should be doing but actually had a good conversation about all sorts of things connected with our problem.

In his experience the shin pains are more prevalent when surgery is involved and what he would do and has done is find a way to manage the pain.  Not all people are the same and its really dealt with on a one-to-one basis.  I guess its the same as regards other things in the NHS.  You are subjected to a lottery as regards expertise and experience and have to go with the flow.

Sorry I can't be more definitive but would suggest you keep badgering them.  You shouldn't have to endure that much pain because it affects your whole life and the people around you too.  Be persistant.  Good luck

Chris

• Posted

Thanks Chris ,I've started taking tramadol now for the pain which really helps ,just feel pretty zonked most of day,but rather that than pain ,I'm back to consultant on Friday for a wound check and hopefully my cast off if all seems good ,so things aren't to bad a the moment ,thank you so much for your support x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.