5 weeks and 4 days in.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I can remember my first post on here when I had been home one day and was in total agony, crying, no sleep and wishing I had never had it done, well 5 weeks and 4 days in, I am walking without crutches or sticks, can get in and out of the bath and am back driving my car. Still doing my exercises 3 times a day and have added some more in, icing between 6-8 times a day and elevating, also can sleep on both sides now and off all meds. I truly didn't believe this day would come, even with all the kind words that were offered when I posted on here, so for all you who have just had it done, hang on in there and your day will come as well.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done Diane and thank you for the encouraging post

I'm 12 days post op not doing too bad doing excercises 3 times a day going for walks I can manage on 1 crutch indoors

Not much pain more discomfort I'm quite pleased with myself as I live alone so have to do everything for myself I can't wait to be able to shower I really miss that had my dressing off today wound looks good I had glue thank goodness so no clips or stitches to have out

Looking forward to being able to use my bio oil on the scar it makes such a difference to the end result

X gwyneth03

• Posted

Hi

Pleased to hear you're doing so well.

With regard to showering, I taped a plastic bag over my wound with surgical tape while showering from day after my operation, that is what they told me to do in hospital.

• Posted

Hi

Pleased to hear you're doing so well.

I am 8 weeks post op, I like you feel I am doing well, can drive my car, ride my push bike about 2 miles, have returned to work part-time and can walk without crutches for about 1 mile and mostly sleep well on my side which I prefer! ??

Just be careful not to overdo it, I have more good days than bad now, but I definitely know when I have overdone things!

Wishing you all the best with you continued progress.

Sandra

• Posted

You v.lucky Diane. .I had a TKR in Nov 2015 extreme pain for wks .v little sleep than a v.bad fall which resulted in hairline fracture of the shin. ..pain carried on for wks and on return to fracture clinic x ray showed loosening of implant. tkr done in may this year...outcome was going great guns v.little pain and swelling till 3 wks ago...on return to hospital bak on two crutches due to severe pain....x rays clear diagnosed with severe inflammation in soft tissues due to 2 major surgeries in 7 months. Could take months to settle , you are v.lucky with yr outcome.x
  • Posted

Hi Diane, well done on your recovery so far. A lovely positive post, keep going the way you are, just watch you don't overdo things. xx

• Posted

Very similar.  Yup...takes 4-6 weeks to realize how bad it was vs. now.  Just remember to continue your PT and get measured.  The goal is zero degrees straight and greater than 120 degrees bent (0 / +120).  I started at -14 / +84 and finished PT -1 / + 128.  After that, gotta hit the gym to rebuild all the leg muscles that have gone to pot.  Stronger muscles support and put less strain on the knee.  Gotta do the work.  That "swollen look", stiffness, clicks and pops, etc. could last 12-18 months.  It's a long recovery but I'm determined to get back on my skates again so I can wreck the other knee...

• Posted

Yes Chico it is a long recovery but will be very worthwhile and as for you yes keep up your good recovery and aim to get back on your skates but please do not wreck the other knee!!!!

• Posted

Too late.  44 years of hockey.  Both knees were scoped twice each and, after lots of SynVisc, now a left TKR.  The right one is has no meniscus or femoral condyle cartileges but it's not bothering me in the now warm climes of Texas (vs. New Jersey).  I know I'll need the right one done...just not now.  That first month is a killer...

• Posted

Can I come to warm climate too. In N.I it is supposed to be summer but cool, and wet!!!! and right knee knows all about it. Thankfully left knee not complaining first time since I had tkr I have noticed weather not annoying it.

My knee killer was obsessive walking and right knee will be done within next year. Unfortunately I can't even walk 10-15mins now as new knee complains.

Hope your other knee lasts for a while yet for you. Sue

• Posted

Happy, happy news!!!????????

So glad to hear that you arrived at your day that REALLY DID finally come!????????

It sure does seem early on SUCH an undertaking! I remember actually LAUGHING when my PT at the hospital told me to "march" my feet as I was seated in the chair. I said, " Sorry, the best I can do TODAY is lift a few TOES off the floor!"

I was NOT kidding!

What a difference a few more weeks makes!

Here's wishing you continued success!????????????????????????????????????????????

• Posted

Yes Cheryl it is amazing what a difference a few weeks make. My "worst" lookback was when I was sitting up on bed and physio put a cylinder foam pillow under knee and told me to lift knee. I tried...once...couldn't do it...she told me try again to which i pulled pillow out threw it across room , burst into tears and said how can I do that , I had my knee replaced yesterday!!! She calmly lifted pillow and walked out. Later when she came back and I apologised she said it's ok but you will do it today. I couldn't

It is good looking back seeing how far we have come and milestones reached. Xx

• Posted

I sure do relate!!!

Also, my left leg behaved VERY differently all the way around. It was as though my two legs belonged to two different people.

I guess it is a lot like having two or more children...NO TWO are the same!

• Posted

Ha ha exactly, I have three kids and all totally different.xx
  • Posted

Well, thought I was doing too good. Back to A&E this evening, went over on my ankle, on the operated leg of course, no broken bones but have badly sprained it, so ice, elevate and some ankle exercises, and back on crutches again.??

• Posted

Ach Diane, take care and I'm thinking about you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.