5 weeks and no lab results from polyp - is this normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had a 7 mm polyp removed from my rectum on 16th October and was told I would have the results back in 2 to 3 weeks. It's now been almost 5 weeks and still no results. I'm starting to worry that the polyp has been lost! Has anyone else had to wait such a long time for their lab results?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry meant to say 16 September not October!
  • Posted

I am in the uk and have had several colonoscopies over the years and polyps removed. My hospitals policy on polyp biopsy lab results is and I quote..".if you don`t hear anything within 2 weeks there is nothing to worry about and biopsies are normal/negative..we will only contact you within 2 weeks IF the biopsies/lab results are abnormal and a cause for concern" unquote. To put your mind at rest you could always ask your family doctor to phone the clinic that took the biopsies or phone them yourself for the results...regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.