5 weeks and still tight and pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello: I am almost to week 5 of my tkr of my right knee. I’m done with home pt and next week I start outpatient therapy. My knee is still so tight that it feels like a small rubber band over my knee that won’t stretch enough to allow bending. My straightening is only 95 to 100 but my bending measures 125. Is this tightness normal? There is still some swelling. And also feels like I’ve pulled a muscle.  When I walk. I am sleeping better at night. Not so uncomfortable but when i get up I am so stiff its hard to take a step. Trying not to be depressed but it’s hard sometimes. Anyone else have these problems at 4 1/2 weeks?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am now 9 months post TKR. I still feel that way occasionally, but usually because I over did things. Yes, at 5 weeks and up until 9 weeks, I felt that way. I finally forced my knee to bend normal coming down off a curb. A loud popping noise and a minute of pain followed by a "sense of freedom" from my leg. I don't know how else to describe it.

Appearantly, my forcing it to bend tore apart a ton of scar tissue from previous surgeries and this one. I waa told, faster your incision heals, more scare tissue you have. My incision was healed except for a tiny spot by week three. They were right.

I would suggest mentioning the sensation to your therapist as they will work qwith you on loosening up any scare tissue if that is what's causing the problem. I don't recommend being bull headed like I am and forcing it to bend at this point.

• Posted

Thanks Terri. My scar healed very quickly. I will mention this to therapist 
  • Posted

It's normal you've a good bend do I wouldn't worry. The tight band is inflammation once it settles it'll be OK. Keep on with the ice that's the only way to reduce the swelling which will help the knee. Yeah stiffness is normal I'm 11 weeks and when I stand up after sitting knee is pain but apparently it's inflammation arou d the knee. Remember the surgery you've had is traumatic and your body must be give time to recuperate. At least you're sleeping I'm still not so good luck

• Posted

Hi Jackie

I had my tkr on March 9th .am still very swollen . Have confidence plodding around at home . But outside is different

Some mornings its hard to get motivated.due to stiffness.

Speedy recovery

Linda p

• Posted

I had my surgery in February and still have pain and stiffness. It's good your sleeping better I still have issues with sleeping. I also have problems getting in and out of a car and can only walk around so much until I swell and hurt but it is slowly getting better. Good luck.

• Posted

Well I am the same at 5 weeks with the tightness like a metal band around my knee. But as it is my second knee replacement I am not bothered as this is probably very normal/common. Two years down the line and you would never know my other knee was once like that. Also feel like I am starting again each morning with the bending and straightening but seem to recall it was like that till all swelling gone. I wouldn't worry and your bending is brilliant so soon although I imagine it was okay before the op anyway?

• Posted

You are still very early in what is usually a one-year recovery.  Everything you relate is normal.  Click my name and then "See All Discussions" for topics on depression, sleeping, stiffness, etc.  Lots to get to know...

• Posted

Yes not trying to discourage you but yes it happens I am 3 months out and my knee is still tight doesn't Bend like it should and yes the pain in the shin calf and right side

I am still woke up with pain nightly

• Posted

Yes, familiar symptoms. Now at 5 weeks I can feel improvements coming though. ROM  movement always my weakness. Improves in the day with exercises then gets tight and stiff overnight and back to square one or worse! Funnily enough the biggest step change with my first knee was after three months when I was hospitalised for a week with a gall bladder problem. No exercises  for a week, just bed rest after much more pain than from my knee. When I came out the tightness had gone and things were much better from  then on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.