5 weeks of on and off abdominal burning, depression.

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last 5 weeks I have had excruciating burning on and off which had really got me down and depressed. I had a bad spell throughout 2015 with about 20 or 30 episodes which was diagnosed as IBS. I started to take probiotics and aloe Vera and this helped a lot with only 2 or 3 flare ups in almost two years. This has knocked me for 6 as I thought at the start it would just be a few days and I'll be back. I'm irritable, moods are up and down and it's affecting my relationships with wife and child. I get very emotional which is getting me even more down. I'm avoiding going to the doctors for fear they say its just IBS again. If they did find out a condition this would actually solve why I'm like this. I am quite anxious and get hyped up a lot with regards to work. Could this be the problem, stress? Do I need anti depressants or pills to calm me. I can't think it is food related as I've been eating the same foods for years. One thing that did aggravate it was an orange? Is there an ulcer or ulcers that could be sore. I've also read you can have too much acid or sometimes not enough to digest food. Hope I can get back to how I was because I dread getting up in the morning not knowing how the day will pan out.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety and stress can affect your digestion.  Is the burning in your stomach or your colon?  If its in your stomach, it could be an ulcer.  Stress can definitely make that worse.  H-Pylori (a bacteria) can also cause an ulcer.  You can have a blood test for that and its treated with anti-biotic.  It could also be related to the amount of stomach acid you have in your stomach.  If you don't have enough hydrochloric acid, the sphinctre going into your small intestine won't open, causing your stomach to bulge and acid to rise up your esophagus.  You can buy betaine at a health food store that helps your body to produce hcl.  If the dr. diagnoses you as having too much acid, they'll put you on a PPI like Nexium.  It's okay to use a PPI short term (like for 30 days max) but you should not be on it long term as it can mask symptoms of serious disorders.  Paced breathing or some form of meditation is a good way to help your body to recover from stress.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Its almost as if this has taken over my life. My mind is shot to pieces and my sleep patterns are all over the place which is getting me down. It's as if someone flicked a switch from feeling fine to this state. I need help.

• Posted

Similar burning problems for almost 2 months. It’s taken over my life with depression sinking in. To date I have no answers. Going to the doc again tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll get some and I’ll pass along. 
    • Posted

Similar burning problems for almost 2 months. It’s taken over my life with depression sinking in. To date I have no answers. Going to the doc again tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll get some and I’ll pass along. 
    • Posted

• Posted

• Posted

It can be treated, just go for the whole abdominal scan once. The infection could be the one reason for the abdominal burning. The antibiotics help to overcome the pain and also when you will feel pain-free then you will start releasing depression.   
  • Posted

Go to your doctot; don’t fear them saying IBS because IBS is treatable and non threatening.  Do you get change of bowel habit and shifting abdominal pain?

• Posted

Update - Went to the docs and had a complete meltdown. I suppose all this pain got on top of me with it affecting my work and homelife. I was prescribed 50mg sertraline. On day 6 and been hell but have to keep going. Been signed off for 2 weeks but dread going back if I'm feeling like this. So many things going on in my head it feels like a bad dream. Trying to stay positive for not only my sake but for my family too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.