5 weeks on mirtazapine, up and down

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi, ive been on mirtazapine for 5 weeks now - 4 weeks at 30mg, i had the usual drowsiness to begin with, though didn't get the huge appetite, i just started to get an appetite in week 3 and also felt calmer and brighter, though in the past week all of that has gone and im back to having low appetite and mood and anxiety is back - what should i do ? im sleeping well which seems to be the only bonus atm, im thinking of adding in a low dose ssri, rather than increase the dose - has this worked for anyone? any advice appreciated

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

just keeping going, text book good responses so far, you should be really pleased. they take so long to work, and they dont bring sudden changes. you go fowards and backwards at the moment. gradually forward, good periods get stronger and happen more often, backaward, bad, periods get weeker and happen less often. you alerternate between the two, until everything settles down. most people in general, say you should give it 12 weeks, before you reach what you can call a recovery. an increase will set off the side effects again, as most increases do. give your current dose at least another 4 weeks, to show the full effect. then you can consider an increase. too high a dose than ideal, is worse than too low a dose, so you shouldnt increase too quickly. most people that stay the course talk about recovery around 12 weeks, quite a few say even longer. a few lucky ones, sooner. you are heading in the right direction. all the best.

Report Reply
    • Posted

Nigel, you are an angel to me, you have me reassurance before at 3 weeks when i was having a wobble, thank you so much for responding to me, i was feeling like it was failing because mirtazapine is supposed to work quicker than SSris? i had such a horrible experience with sertraline where i had side effects for 12 weeks, and no relief, despite other ssris working for me in the past, thats its made me think nothing is going to work now - just so spaced out much of the time it scares me, and im reaching for my lorazepam more than i would like - still no more than 1-2mgs a day, but there are days like today when i really need it, though last week i was much better, its difficult to find success stories on here, so your words mean everything xxxxxx

Report Reply
  • Posted

just keeping going, text book good responses so far, you should be really pleased. they take so long to work, and they dont bring sudden changes. you go fowards and backwards at the moment. gradually forward, good periods get stronger and happen more often, backaward, bad, periods get weeker and happen less often. you alerternate between the two, until everything settles down. most people in general, say you should give it 12 weeks, before you reach what you can call a recovery. an increase will set off the side effects again, as most increases do. give your current dose at least another 4 weeks, to show the full effect. then you can consider an increase. too high a dose than ideal, is worse than too low a dose, so you shouldnt increase too quickly. most people that stay the course talk about recovery around 12 weeks, quite a few say even longer. a few lucky ones, sooner. you are heading in the right direction. all the best.

Report Reply
  • Posted

your welcome. you are right, it does work quicker. it also depends of the state a person is in when they start a med. we are all different, and we take different times to recover. i do know of someone who took 10 or 11 weeks on mirt to get to an okay state. try not to be in too much of a rush to go up, but then again listen to your own thoughts. if you go backwards, or have a wobbler, give the wobbler a few weeks, to see what happens. you definitely get ups and downs, that recur.

Report Reply
    • Posted

ok that's what ill do then - looking at the bigger picture the past 5 weeks have been a lot better than the previous 5 weeks so there is improvement it just feels really slow...but ive calmed down now snuggled up with my 4 year old watching movies and eating popcorn which is all i could ever want xxx

Report Reply
    • Posted

thats what you need to do, look back over past weeks, to see how youve improved. try not to think about how you feel now, or the future. when you look back, if you have stopped improving over a few weeks, and you arent happy, then you can think about an increase.

Report Reply
    • Posted

thanks Nigel, i see you're also in the venlaflexine group - so are you taking this with mirt ? i keep reading how it is such a good combination - is that your experience?

Report Reply
  • Posted

hello, until a week ago, i was just on ven 337.5mg. i get few side effects from ven, even on this dose. however, after being om it 10 months getting to that dose, i felt it was lacking a bit. still found it difficult to focus and concentrate, and just be me, happy on my own, but chatty if people are around. lacked some motivation, clear thought, and wasnt chatty. ive been studying anti depressants for over a year now and listening and helping people on here..my mind picks up on anything to do with depression and anxiety. not just meds. have been looking into adding mirt for some time started just over a week ago. dropped ven to 300mg and 15mg if mirt. mood improved from the off, a little each day, tension went high each day, so dropped ven to 262.5mg, then tension started dropping. feel more normal after 10 days on it. havent found its improved sleep. it feels right, so just a case of waiting to see what happens. found lots of studies with anti depressant combos, seems mirt is most popular being mixed with ven and ssris. ven and mirt i think has highest success rate. you need to be on one for a while, so you can judge doses for each, otherwise you could end up all over the place. combos make sense to me, would say you need to be in one med for at least 3 months, before adding another. im pleasantly surprised so far, but could end up going tits up.

Report Reply
    • Posted

yes it is thanks. had some really good days. havent quite worked out best times to take ven yet, as i take that 3 times a day. get anxious at times, though i dont worry about it or things. just impatient, like most people. should have more of an idea in a few weeks. how are you doing?

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi nigel, ive felt awful this past week, the meds just arent working for me anymore and so im coming off them and see how i cope without them, i dont think i could feel worse!

Report Reply
    • Posted

karen, you should not come off them. speak to your dr, about trying another one. you havent given it no where nea long enough. you are forgetting how bad you felt, that you needed a med in the first place. what dos are you on? took 10 weeks for me to notice first sign of improvement. has taken me 10 months to get where i am. see your dr, you cant just stop taking these meds, you will end up in a worse state.

Report Reply
    • Posted

hi nigel, i hear what you're saying, but my experiencr has been over 15 years of trying different meds, with 3 over the past year, and they have all pooped out eventually - ive not been med free for that whole time and im still depressed, so in the words of einstein (i think) the definition of madness is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, so its time to try something else, and i just know mirtazapine is not for me, though i think i might try sam-e, which is a 'natural' alternative that has out performed ssris in many tests, and virtually no side effects and taking lorazapam as needed, along with excercise and meditation 😃

Report Reply
  • Posted

yes its very interesting - i dont think ive seen any reports of the ven / mirt combo not working though as you say it seems like they dont tend to be added at the same time, also i hear the combo can poop put sooner rather than later...i was thinking of eventualy adding a low dose of escitalopram - ive not tried it before but it seems to have less side effects than other ssris and be more effective - i also like that the doses are so low with 10mg being the theraputic dose - any thoughts on this?

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up