5 weeks on SERTRALINE - first post

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi there,

This is my first post on here after 5 weeks of reading. I started SERTRALINE 50mg 5 weeks ago today. (1 week at 25 and 4 weeks at 50mg) after the initial 2 weeks of horrible side effects (increases anxiety, nausea, lack of appetite) I gradually started to improve and last week I had the best week I'd had for months!! I felt 75% back to myself, was smiling, laughing and enjoying life. Anyway the past 2/3 days my anxiety is creeping back in and I'm having panic attacks, waking up sick with anxiety, constantly feeling on edge. I am just looking for some words of encouragement. Is this normal? Is it still early days? How do I overcome this? (May I point out my period is due any day now so not sure if it's anything to do with that.) I just really need some encouragement as it's making me really sad today sad only positive advice please, I'm feeling sensitive.

I should point out I started this for extreme anxiety. 7 couldn't leave the house and was in a state of panic 24/7 when starting these.

Many Thanks in advance.

Nikki

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

HI nikki

I too have been on 50 this is my 7th week,have also had a realy good week,apart from the odd day here and there,but iv woke up this morning feeling realy crappy!!!,ill unmotivated just wanna go back to bed,got my period this morning,so yes your period realy does affect your anxiety and how your feeling,i found that last month was extremely anxious leading up too it,im going to realy have to push myself today,just tell yourself thats why your anxious n try not to panic x

• Posted

Hi nikki,

I've been on 100mg for about seven months now started on 50mg then after about a month moved up to 100mg, at the beginning I had everything you're describing and it took about eight to ten weeks before everything began to settle down, I had one blip about two months ago when my anxiety came back, but it soon went away after a week or so, just hang in there, I feel about 95% back to my old self, I started taking Sertraline like you for anxiety, it really has helped me, and my wife says I'm back to the fun John again, it does get better, just keep going with the medication, stick in there !!!

John

• Posted

Hi john i to am having a blip what did u do to stop it im terrified im going back to how i was
  • Posted

Morning Nikki. I am sure it is your body responding to your period. Horrible for you, however hang on there and in a few days you will be back to the smiling and laughing. Maybe there is something nice that you could take (some sort of supplement) that could help you through the period days? If your GP is 'understanding and aware' then maybe they could suggest something? 

All the best and be strong; summer is coming and you will be warm in the sun.

Phil

• Posted

Thank you all for your lovely replies. I really hope this is just a blip and I continue to improve over time. I guess 5 weeks is early days still.. just want to feel better already and the step backs seem heartbreaking sad

Thank you all for your support.

• Posted

Two weeks ago (almost 30 days on 50mg) I was feeling two steps forwards and one and a hlaf steps back. Now I'm just doing two steps forward but rather slowly and with a bit of a stumble here and there. I went to the Gym today for the first time in weeks. Only did 30 minutes then had a damn fine and really hot shower.  Feels good now.

• Posted

How is everyone feeling today? I'm still feeling super down and anxious. Feel constantly on edge and crying at every opportunity. I even begged my OH not to leave me for work this morning. I'm a mess 😔 Really hoping this is just a blip and I'll pick up again but feel like I'm back to square 1 again today. So fed up and sad 😭

• Posted

Should also say I was so physically sick with anxiety this morning. Was horrendous and still feel so so sick now 😔Please tell me this'll get easier..x

• Posted

I really feel for you. I have been taking Sert for 3-4 months now on 125mg. I remember begging my OH not to go away on trip about 2 months ago. It was absolutely horrid. Recently he has been away again and I was pleased with the difference. A bit nervous that was all. As I said to someone, "all I want to do is feel calm in my own house". 

I have been having a blip these passed few days, nothing as bad as yours but like you being contend then remembering and getting the anxiety washing machine thing. It gets you down, all you can think about.

Philip's comments have encouraged me as it's hard to remember the weeks when you were feeling good. Have you tried any meditation. The nhs website has a mood zone with some simple meditation which helps me. Try and keep positive, I know it's not always easy.

• Posted

Hi Nikki, theres probably no chance of you seeing this but wanted to try reach out anyway. I really need reassurance, I am nearly 5 weeks on 50mg sertraline and two weeks ago i was even able to start my new job. I only had small little blips throughout the day but nothing major at all! I had the best weekend just gone, felt 100% myself again and even went on a road trip with the kids and went to a busy activity place. Yesterday in work my tummy was slightly off and I've had trouble with bad headaches/wisdom tooth pain. This morning I am so bad, woke up with butterflies in my chest, really nauseous, gagging and actually vomiting 😕 Im so scared with this set back. It after getting me into a panic (Sweaty palms, shaking, dizzy, distant, tired and starey, cold, weak). Cant eat i feel that sick. Can someome please give reassurance that this is normal! Been feeling this a solid 3 hours now and really worried about it because I feel like I'm back to square one

• Posted

hi im 3 weeks in have a good day but more bad days at the minute I’m feeling terrible today. constantly crying cant see an end to this. Hope you’re feeling better

• Posted

Hi Nikki sounds like you have come a long way since you first started with your medication I find that I still expect to feel anxious In certain situations which then triggers those feelings. I also feel different when I am due on and it worries me that I'm ill again which can trigger the anxiety but actually I'm then ok after a few days. I keep a log when I have a moment so I can review it and see if I can spot any pattern? The latest thing I've learnt is that when I stop exercising and eating well my anxiety worsens I only recognised this by keeping notes on my phone about how I was feeling. I hope your feeling better soon but it's sounds like you have already come along way in 5 weeks x

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing these side effects. They are normal as I've been told and experienced. I started on 25mg about 6 weeks ago, then slowly uped it to 50, 75, 100, 125 and 150mg the last 7 days. I have to say I have had some good days but more bad days. However I used to have extreme morning anxiety where I was really freaking out as it was unbearable. That has subsided considerably and it's only moderate anxiety I can bear. I've had some really good days like most of last week but Sunday and yesterday were not good. My doctor told me that I was probably starting to get the effects of the 100 and possibly the 125 but might be experiencing the SE of the 150 now. He said this is quite normal and it generally takes 2 to 4 weeks to get the full benefits and for the SE's to disappear. 

Today has been interesting. I felt depressed in the morning. This went away by 10am and I even began to relax. I then began to feel agitated and a little anxious. for a few hours and now I'm almost 100% relaxed. Before the Zoloft I had little depression but had extreme anxiety from morning to at least 6 or 7pm. So it's definitely getting better for me.Unfortunately when you don't feel well it's easy to forget that you were feeling good before. Try to slow down your breathing and do something to keep yourself occupied and hopefully this will pass the time better.

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

I should have also mentioned that I'm taking Trazadone 50mg to help me sleep. Sleep is really important to help you feell better in the morning.

• Posted

I have been on sertraline a while now. How're you feeling?

Take one step at a time and don't be hard on yourself.

Meds can make you feel worse at first but then it gets better day by day.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.