5 weeks post gastric band

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im 5 weeks post gastric band and I'm going for my first fill this weekend. I'm feeling really nervous as I don't know what to expect during or after the fill.

Can anyone share their experiences? 😊

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nat,

don't worry about the fill at all. It's over in about 30 seconds!! The nurse (or surgeon) will ask you to lie on the bed and will have a feel for the port - you might have to tense up tummy muscles to make it easier to feel. She will then put a needle in to the port and put in the extra fluid. She will probably withdraw it all to see how much there was already in there. Sometimes a bit left in from op - i had 2ml and read about someone having 4ml Left in. I had an extra 1ml put in which didn't really make a difference to me. I've just been back for my 2nd fill and had another 1.5 put in and I am now having a little bit of restriction, 1st time since about a month after op.

It is honestly over so quickly. smile

• Posted

P.s. After the fill I had a bit of cramping for a few days but nothing serious. Liquids for 3 days then softer foods for a couple.
    • Posted

Thank you Angelstar30 😊 does it hurt when they draw it out I'm feeling so apprehensive! I don't even know which is my port 😂 x
  • Posted

Hi, I'm just about to go for a consultation to have gastric band, can i ask how long you've had your band for, do you regret it? and how much weight have you lost .. would like to get some honest feedback from real people xx
    • Posted

Lol that's weird ive just replied to your discussion before I saw this! Lol x
  • Posted

Hi Nat,

I'm exactly where you are now

I have my first fill Saturday with the Hospital Group in London

I'm very nervous but hopefully I will feel some restrictions after as I am able to eat normally now and don't want to put back on the 2st I have lost so far.

Good luck on your first fill

Lissa

• Posted

Hi Lissa I'm the same not really any restriction I hope I don't have to go back too often for fills as it's in Manchester which is 1hr 40 mins from me! lol

Thank you and good luck to you too 😊 x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.