5 weeks post laparoscopic hysterectomy - question about pain, swelling & belly hardening

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 5 weeks ago, where everything was removed, and they also found some endometriosis adhesions which were also removed. However, some days my discomfort/pain seems worse than it was immediately after the operation, and I have days of belly swelling, hardening and also strange pains - they are not unlike the endometriosis pains I had, but they also feel like they might be bowel related because I seem to get more wind now and my bowel seems more irritated than it was before. I have a 3 year old and I'm not good at doing nothing, and so I am sure I am doing more than I should. I also find that I have the words from the Consultant in my ear about it 'only taking 6-8 weeks to recover', and so am concerned it might not be normal. I asked the GP but she didn't really have much to say about it.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanne

everything you are experiencing is normal. I too had everything removed. I didn't start to feel myself for a good 12 weeks and even now 5 months on I still have strange sensations like something is moving inside and bloating. It's like I can feel everything moving through my bowel. You've been through a massive operation and you still need to rest and not lift anything. Your body is just re-adjusting itself as it settles. Don't be hard on yourself you can't rush your recovery. It does get better it just takes time and patience. This general 6-8 weeks is nonsense it depends on what type of operation youve had and everyone recovers at a different rate. You're doing really well keep going sweets. x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply, Michelle - it's really reassuring to hear. I think its hard because it feels almost invisible - we have no way of seeing what is going on inside and how much we need to recover. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. xx

• Posted

can i ask if you started HRT straight away after your op and whether they needed to adjust the dose at all?

• Posted

I also had laproscopic surgery at the end of September. It is about 5 months later and I still sometimes feel what I have come to call "phantom pains". I had fibroids, endometriosis and admyosis. It took months for me to recover and yes, it felt very much like it had before I had the surgery for a while. Be good to yourself. This isn't as easy as anyone made it sound before I had the surgery. My surgeon even insisted that I didn't need painkillers when I went home after the surgery. He was dead wrong about that.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply, Katy - hope your continued recovery goes smoothly. It's helpful to know that I am not the only one experiencing these things x

• Posted

can i ask if you started HRT straight away after your op and whether they needed to adjust the dose at all?

• Posted

Hi,

I am 14 weeks post op and I still have days where my stomach is swollen and sometimes feel gassy and bloated. It's normally after i've done too much or accidentally picked up one of my children. They are 3 and 5 so I completely understand how it's so hard to rest.

My consultant has been amazing, 6-8 weeks recovery is usually for the op/incisions etc but they have told me its a good 6months to a year before you are fully back to your usual self .

I have found walking and gradually building up the distance has helped me to become stronger and doing my pelvic floor too.

When I was 11 weeks I really didn't feel I was getting better but only a few weeks on from that i'm getting there. Try listening to your body and rest when you can (hard I know with little ones). You will get there and you're doing great 😃!

• Posted

thanks so much for sharing your advice, Leanne. It's really helpful to hear your experience and to be reminded to take it slowly and not to expect too much too soon. x

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.