5 weeks post o.p

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 5 weeks post o.p from having my gallbladder out. No stones. Still no appetite and intermittent nausea. M D ordered blood work and ultrasound only because I think he's tired of hearing me complain. Yesterday I experienced pain which was a new symptom. Has anyone else experienced these things ?

Btw this site is so helpful. I don't feel alone with my issues.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi June I got my op 8th January this year I'm still the same walking after 10minsor standing too long makes me feel so sick at the weekend I had the pain of what felt like barb wire in my stomach go says it's just my internal stitches healing I still suffer from pain my back and stomach GP says 8 weeks I should be a lot better am still off work as no chance I could do a 5hr shifton my feet with lifting up stuff doc says I should be back at work in the next 4 weeks but only on light duties.

• Posted

Hi June, I had my gallbladder removed just over 3 months ago

and I'm still having problems. Stomach pain after eating , bloating , nausea

sometimes diarhea.I don't think doctors understand how badly this affects people.

• Posted

I agree. I think they minimize this surgery sending you home in 2 hours. How is your appetite? I am still eating very bland and small portions.taking the zifran for nausea. Had to leave work early yesterday it was so bad.. it's so re assuring to know this is happening to others . I hope you continue to heal and feel better soon.

• Posted

Takes months to feel better. Need to remember you’ve had a major op and had an organ removed. I still take anti sickness tablets and painkillers. At 5 weeks I still had a wound infection. I went back to work 8 weeks post-op after using up some annual leave as well. Honestly think in the next month or so you’ll start to feel a lot better 😘 xx

• Posted

So , how I am feeling can be a normal part of the healing process? I recognize this was major surgery. I wish the medical community would share the same feelings. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
    • Posted

Yep it takes a good while for all the internal stitches to heal and stomach muscles to knit back together from having the surgical instruments pushed through them. People think because it’s laparoscopic that it’s a simple op. My GP said she had someone go back to work after 2 weeks but they had a desk job and obviously no complications either. Unfortunately I’m on my feet for 12.5 hours at work so wouldn’t be able just to sit down at a desk. Just take your time xx
  • Posted

Yes it took me weeks to get my appetite back. I do get some mild pain in lower right rib area and I had my surgery last spring. Luckily I’ve not had much nausea or diarrhoea issues as many seem to have. I found that eating smaller meals helped and I still avoid anything highly spiced or very fatty. You’re certainly not on your own in this. 
    • Posted

Haven't really had an appetite since Nov when I began to have all the tests to see what was wrong.i do eat smaller meals throughout the day so it sounds like I am on the right track to healing.reassurring to know I'm not alone!

• Posted

Hi~~I operated 2 months ago with cholecystitis, no gallstones like you!

I also felt nausea and pain in my stomach for 7 weeks. After 7 weeks, I felt a little bit better. It hardly hurts now. As long as I don't overeat, it's okay. Let's cheer up together. I hope you get well soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to the day when I have no nausea and am hungry!!!. Hope you continue to heal as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.