5 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

So glad I found this. I'm five weeks post op tomorrow. I had an anterior and posterior repair and a sling. For the first week I did nothing. My youngest two children went to stay with family and my 6yr old stayed home as she was in school. But I had other mum's collect her from school and keep her until bedtime. Second week I had all 3 children. So my husband would carry the baby down the stairs for me and I badically looked after him on the floor and lifted him to the sofa with me. My consultant had said I could go for short walks with the baby the week after my operation and do short drives. My husband took this as I am able to fully drive and care for baby! He did say if I bled that it was a sign I was doing too much. Anyway my two girls got a vomiting bug just before Christmas so I was stripping beds and washing bedclothes and washing floors. I've some bleeding since Christmas day but I'm not sure if it's a period or not. On the 26th I had to take pain relief and use ice packs as I was so sore. I also sometimes feel like a tightening sensation and feel tender. I also get quite tender wearing jeans, is that normal? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Men often do not understand these things, like doctors orders! When I was put on bedrest because of high blood pressure during my 3rd pegnancy, my husband actually said to me "That doesn't mean you have to stay in bed, does it?" I told him "No, I could just have a stroke and leave you with 3 kids to raise." 

If you are bleeding and in pain, make an appointment with the doctor, get a sitter and take your husband with you to the apppointment. Ask detailed questions about what level of activities you are supposed to be doing and take a note pad and ask him to take notes, so you can remember later. If your doctor is male it will probably be more productive, since men usually listen to other men more than they listed to women. Good luck, and seriously put your foot down on doing too much! My sister was young like you are when she had this operation, she did too much and developed adhesions.

• Posted

Hi Omic, such wisdom from Kristy. She is absolutely right. Make sure your husband takes the notes, put him on the spot & make him take some responsibility. Let's face it childbirth is the reason you are in the state you are. Most men will pass the buck when they can when it comes to domestic duties. I am surprised you felt comfortable driving, didn't all the twisting and stretching hurt. Who was putting the baby in the car. That is some manouvre. That's how I put my back out in my second pregnancy. You really do have to look after number 1 for a while, my God I am amazed at how you have coped. You are making me feel a wimp because I have had it so much easier. But seriously yes go and see your gynaecologist or GP   ASAP
  • Posted

Hi Omic

Poor you. Having to do so much so soon. I would say bleeding is a sign that you must rest. Only do what it absolutely necessary and let the rest wait. Accept any kind of help and when you can just lay in bed or sit with your feet up. I didn't begin to feel normal for 6 weeks and only then started to wear normal clothes up until then I wore pj's, joggers, comfy clothes. I think that the hospitals should give much more advice on what to do and not to do during recovery. If you can I would try and get at least another full week of rest in. If you have friends or parents you can ask for help with the kids........ask away. Good luck hope all works out for you.

• Posted

Hi omic, definitely you are doing too much. When you've done lots yourself it's hard to ask for help. My husband was great first week and then obviously thought that was all he had to do. I was adamant I wasn't going to jeopardise my recovery so I just started giving him instructions basically. Ie I would have said 'strip the beds so I can wash sheets'.  Do that a few times and he will quickly get the idea. I think you've had great advice from everyone else and taking him to a Drs appointment is a good idea. I couldn't wear tight wasted pants fir weeks. 
  • Posted

Thanks for all your replies. It does make sense. For Christmas day and Stephens day my husband put baby in the car. I'm back at the gynaecologist next week so must see if my husband can take time off to come with me. He was there when the doc saw me post op but the doc said light housework and walks with baby so my husband heard that as I can do everything! I'll bring a detailed question list to my appointment. My doc is a man too. 

My girls are back in school next week so I'll get my husband to drop them and I'll collect them. So it cuts out one of three trips.. 

• Posted

Thanks for all your advice. I did do as little as possible. Had my post op check on Thursday and the consultant was very happy. He said everything was looking good and where it should be and that I don't need to see him unless anything changes. I had been to my gp on Tuesday and I got an antibiotic as she thought I'd a slight infection but my consultant said the yellow discharge was the stitches dissolving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.