5 Weeks Post Op

Posted , 2 users are following.

Just found this discussion. Beginning 5th of left shoulder surgery, rotator cuff and clavicle.  Pain has gotten better, although experiencing a upgrade in pain around the shoulder since yesterday. Did I tweak it, is it from strain, or just the normal healing? The pain sometimes makes me think maybe I did something and it didn't take, but no major incident has occurred since surgery, hoping it's just my fears getting the best of me. Still in sling until Sept 12 and then will begin PT after. Has been a trial for sure. Sleeping in bed is still uncomfortable. Words of wisdom? Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It will get better.  I am at 12 weeks and I feel I have finally crossed a bridge.  Yes there is still pain but it is getting better.  Be sure and ice, I also felt stronger pain at around 5 to 6 weeks.  My PT guy told me today that they need to build motion first  then strength.   I started pt at 4 weeks.  So unless your in agony I don't think you did something to it.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Glad you are progressing in your recovery as well.
  • Posted

UGH!  This is the hi/low recovery.  At times, you will feel really good then for whatever reason you feel lower than a grass hopper dragging its tummy on the ground.  ICE ICE ICE will help several times each day EVEN when you don't want to ice.  Remember this is temporary.  It will improve.  Communicate with your PT.  Communicate with your surgeon.  The three of you need to be on the same page. Pack the shoulder in ICE at least in the morning and before trying to go to bed.  You will make it!!

• Posted

Thank you needed your message today, am having a low day today. Have been icing as much as possible. Thanks for encouragement! Anyone's input is sorely (pun intended) appreciated.

• Posted

Started week 6 this past Thurs. Pain has lessened, but still needs to be controlled with medication. Lower shoulder blade area seems to be most bothersome area. Although it does move around a bit, sometimes shoulder, upper blade and arm. Am using frozen gel packs constantly still. Sling should be off by Tues, Sept. 12.  I still worry about surgery, which I guess is normal. I guess if not properly healed it would be more excruciating and have to realize everyone's recovery will be different. Thanks again.

• Posted

Sounds good.  Keep icing.  My lower scapula is still stiff.  I am 13 weeks out of surgery and must now get down to the business of loosening up the blade and lats.   I would not have started this before now.  My PT is very good.  My doctor assures me that the double row of anchors is not going to fail.  SO... on the floor on my back, I am now working on stretching to full 180 degrees building to 10 counts and beyond.  I cannot touch my thumb to the floor.  I can reach my index finger tip to the floor for support.  I use my opposite hand to support too.  Gentle and slow controlled movements.  My scapula pulls up which pulls of the ribs up off the floor because the lats are tight from 8 months of no use.  I alternate straight legs for some reps and knees bend aiming to opposite side which allows for a different stretch.  Last Thursday was my last two days per week PT.  We are not going to try once every two weeks to see how I do.  I haven't started much with wts yet mostly elastic bands.  It's a slow process.  Keep going with your rehab.... Keep icing!   I usually put the gel packs on and leave them for 40 - 60 minutes.  It helps!  GOOD LUCK and remember YOU CAN DO IT!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.