5 weeks post op and all going well

Posted , 6 users are following.

I felt amazing for the first 3 weeks but as I starting doing more, I have had a bit  ache in my side, but not enough to worry me, I just think it was bound to happen after surgery, I also did a bit to much as I felt so well , but my body soon told me to slow down again.  I am eating normal food, I am a bit constipated but easy to clear with a bit of spicey food, haha. I did have one embarrassing diareah episode, but it didn't seem  to be connected to any food and as a friend who visited, had had a bug a few days earlier, I am hoping it's more likely to be connected to that, fingers crossed. I feel I am just about back to normal, but I am still going to try to remember I have had major surgery so am going to try and behave myself for a few months. 

Apart from a few twinges of pain and a bit of an ache occasionally all my symptoms have gone. No constant ache on my right hand side and back or pain when I excersise. I don't have nausea in the mornings, cramps when I eat fatty food or that twisted feeling when I bent or stretched. I haven't had a headache since my op, I have stopped itching in bed at night and although I have had a few hot flushes, they feel more like what I expected from the menapause not terrible sickness and lightheadness with them. I also haven't had the chills since.   The reason I have spelt out my previous symptoms is that my GP and my consultant had both said that most of these symptoms were not connected with my GB and that as I didn't have the 'normally' binary pain they associated with Gallstones they didn't feel the op woudl make any difference . But it's has changed my life so much it's incredible.  I think they are not following patients up so are not understanding the full extent of symptoms, so I will be writing to my consultant to update him and tell him he was wrong and had put me through a long wait for no reason, while he questioned me at every stage. 

Having the op was the best think to happen for me. I hope you get such good results as I have. 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Very encouraging reading this! I'm 3 weeks post op and doing well. Looking forward to the future
  • Posted

Thank you for putting this down. You could have written my story there. My consultant said that mine wasnt typical gallbladder pain and that once I have had the gallbladder out  the problem   may still very likely be still  there! Then in the next breath he said  "but im happy to put you on the list for removal" !! I have put all that to the back of my mind because I am convinced it is my Gallbladder. He even asked me why I was on Buscopan as that wont help with Gallbladder probs yet it was his team that put me on them and told me they do work on the gallbladder,  and my Gp has been prescribing them very happily to help! Any way I  will have my op this tuesday and cant wait. Reading your story has really lifted my spirit today and given me the momentum to manage to get through another  5 days smile

I hope you continue well in your recovery and fab to read you eat spicey food even if it was for medicinal purposes ! smile

• Posted

Jane, I ate so many buscapan it was stupid, and I have not had one since the op,  good luck, being positive is a good step forward and I hope you have as good results as I did . 
  • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to update on your recovery. It's nice to hear a positive experience, I'm terrified of the op (next month) but it helps reading your post. I'm glad you are better now. I spoke to someone who told me she felt rejuvenated after her operation with a lot more energy like a weight had been lighted. I'm hoping its the same for me.
    • Posted

I am sure it will be, good luck. Rejuvenated is just the word to describe what I feel now x
  • Posted

Hiya, hope you're doing well.

I'm having my gallbladder removed next month, and too be honest a little scared. After postponing 3 operations I now feel the time is right. Have you any useful pre/post op tips? Wishing you well 

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago after waiting almost 6 months for my surgery. Its been such a relief to be able to not constanly be thinking about what i can and cant eat. With that being said post op tips are 1) try to keep to the low fat diet you had prior to surgery(thats not to say i dont splurge and have something fatty since but after 6 months its been way easier to avoid those foods) 2) Take your time post op dont rush back to work or try to do too much, for me the pain is finally now just starting to go away(it took me over a week to get off of pain meds but for the last 4 or so weeks its just been bits of pain at a time when i do certain movements) Don't worry i was freaked out before my surgery, since its happened 6 weeks on I dont regret doing it for a second. Good luck with the surgery. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.