5 weeks post op discharge advice please.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ladies. Another question please 5 weeks after my anterior & posterior prolapse repairs plus perineum reconstruction.  I'm still wearing pant liners as I still have a slight discharge, it's not blood & doesn't smell. Does this sound normal? I know I overdid things 2 days ago as for the first time since the op I felt relatively good & wanted to "do things" - big mistake!! I really suffered late that afternoon & had to lie down! Thanks.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It usually takes 6-8 wks to recover. As long as there is no blood or infection it should be ok and take it easy for now
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.There's no blood & as there's no smell I assume there's no infection.I've been resting all afternoon as I just can't shake off the tiredness!! Really hope I soon get some energy back.

• Posted

Hi Carol, my friend took me out to lunch today & she couldn't believe how slow I was walking. In her words she thought I would be running around by now. It seems anything I do gives me grief! x

• Posted

The trouble is Janet that on the outside we look normal, all our healing is going on inside.  If we had our leg in a plaster cast everyone would be sympathetic & understand that it will take weeks to heal fully. I truly hadn't realised just how major this surgery was, nor how long the recovery was going to take. My surgeon certainly never told me & I was discharged from hospital after 2 days with an A4 sheet of basic dos & donts for 6 weeks, which made it look as if some miracle was going go happen at that point! The ladies on here have made it quite clear that that is not the case! I think we're just going to have to be more patient & do as advised - keep resting! (Boring!!) By the way, well done for going out to lunch -that's more than I've done yet, though toying with suggesting it to hubby tomorrow, but only down the road to our local pub - armed with my coccyx cushion!! Take care Janet. x

• Posted

Please be sure and eat nutritious foods. Taking Vitamin C 1000mg and Zinc 100mg a day helps healing too
    • Posted

Many thanks for that advice. I do eat a healthy diet, but maybe I'll start my multi vitamins a bit earlier this year, I usually start in October.I'm willing to try anything to speed up recovery! 

• Posted

Started my vitamin c/zinc today. Just wondered if anyone knows if it's ok to restart using Vagifem pessaries 5wks post op for rectocele repair? Stopped just before surgery & didn't ask consultants advice! 

• Posted

Hi Janet. I think I restarted using vagifem at about 8 weeks post op for rectocele and cystocele repair. I was scared of putting it anywhere near to be honest, and was frightened of catching stitches. I found it made everything feel more swollen again? But I suppose that's what it does. I tried again after 12 weeks an have carried on since then. Hope you're healing well x

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Doolou, I did restart about 10 days ago  but like you I'm not sure if it's helping or not. Might leave it for a couple more weeks. How many weeks post-op are you & are you fully recovered? x

• Posted

Hi Janet, see how it feels eh? I'm 6 months post op, but sadly I think my op has just failed. After about 4 months I felt quite good, but 10 days ago after sitting on the floor (no different to a yoga pose) putting a small table together, got up, and felt that awful feeling again, and it's still there sad I can't quite believe it lasted such a short period of time. Not sure what to do at the moment. I must say it was a long tough recovery, and very frustrating, but I did all but stick to the rules I found on various sites like these. I wish you a safe recovery and a problem free future x

• Posted

Oh no I'm so sad for you!

I know what a long road this must have been. It's 8wks now for me & although I'm feeling better in myself,  at times I've been in pain & felt close to despair, unable to imagine a full recovery. 

I do hope this is just a slight set back for you & hope all is well. Take care x

• Posted

Thank you, I keep hoping so. I was about 4-5 months before I felt about normal, if that's any help? You will get there, although it's tough isn't it. Listen to your body, and please don't overdo it, although I don't believe I did anything stupid. Hugs x

• Posted

Hi Doolou,

I hope things get better soon for you, everything could still sort itself.

I can't imagine doing yoga; thinking of the wide stretching positions.

I go swimming regular and have been warned about the leg stretching of the breaststroke. Must admit I prefer that stroke but had to make do with the front crawl, but every now and again slip back to breaststroke. Definitely certain position not good.

Been told to do pilates but again have to still be careful.

Keep resting and doing your PF exercises.

Have you asked to be re-referred yet? Just to check things out and put your mind at rest.

Take care,

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Phyl, thank you so much. I am trying to be positive, but it's not getting any better I'm afraid. I'm thinking of going to see my GP in the next couple of days and trying to come up with ideas. I can't deal with another operation, only to likely fail again. I've done pilates/yoga/body balance modified to protect my floor since my hysterectomy. I used to love weights and jumping about, but not done that since unfortunately. My job is quite active, getting in and out of the car a lot, but keeps me fit. Thank you again for your kindness x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.