5 weeks post op partial knee replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ok so it'll be 5 weeks tomor that I had my op and please excuse the language but I'm totally p*ssed off!!! Still not getting a good nights sleep despite amitryptaline taken before I go to bed! It's not so much the knee pain but the sciatica which seems to be getting worse not better? Went out yesterday for a mooch round the shops and had what I can only describe as a panic attack in the shopping centre was in pain from walking and felt like I was going to pass out? I'm meant to be returning to work a week tomor and seriously thinking I'm not ready? I only work Monday and Friday and 3 hrs alternative Saturdays so it's not too bad but still 8 hr days!! Think perhaps I should see gp this week as sick note only goes up to 12th July!  Really don't know how I should be feeling this far down the road and as most of you guys have had tkr it's difficult to measure my progress x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Forgive me Mandy, but did we not speak yesterday about this, ? You said you have to get 2 buses to get to work and 2 back . If so , I thought you had decided to go to docs to get signed off for a bit longer, I too had pkr, at nearly 9 weeks, still, wouldn't be ready for work, ( if I worked) , can drive a little, walk a while , get pain a lot, over do it a lot. . Just have more time off, it might only be tkr but it's still major surgery, and takes a lot of getting over. 😀 best of luck. 
  • Posted

I am eight weeks and although my knee good during the day the minute i go to bed it is awful, thinking of going to Dr to get something,  I don't know how you could go back to work that early. I know everyone different but take care dont rush it,  I am lucky I don't  have to work and I know for sure I couldn't if I had to,   Jackie 
  • Posted

It seems that your expectation of recovery was totally wrong, and that has led you to feel that things are not going well.  Very very few people at five weeks are feeling up to mooch around shops, or are getting anything like a decent night's sleep.  I'm not saying it's impossible, because some people do make miraculous recoveries, but it isn't the norm for most of us.  A PKR should definitely not be more difficult to recover from than a TKR, and perhaps you were expecting it to be much easier than it is. . but the surgeon has still had to cut you open, chop off bone, implant something alien to your body . .it's pretty understandable that your body doesn't like it!  You need more time . . you don't need to feel pressured into going back to work WAY before your body is ready to cope with that sort of hassle.  I can only say in your case, i would asking the doctor to sign me off for at least another six weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy.  I just went back to work last Thursday and worked two eight hour nights.   I'm almost 14 wks post op.  It took me all of Saturday to recover.  Lots of stiffness and some pain.  Couldn't imagine being ready to return to work at six weeks.  I would extend your sick leave if you can.  Best of luck
  • Posted

Hi Mandy yes this was my original post but It went for approval because I swore?!!! Lol didn't think it would get posted so did another that you commented on! Sorry for confusion!! Seeing consultant next Monday so won't be going back to work yet! Xx
    • Posted

Lol, good glad your not going back yet, I'm a bit disappointed as I thought I was having premonition s, never mind guess I'm just me again. 😀
    • Posted

Ironically hospital rang this afternoon as a post op check up and I told the nurse about my chronic sciatica she checked with physio and said I need to get it checked out with doctor so going tomor at 10!!! Have told work about current situation and they've said I need to make sure I've recovered before going back so it all rests on my surgeon!!!! Xx
    • Posted

Do you feel a bit better now you have spoken with work ? Thing is your no good to them if your in pain, and get up and down every five minutes cause  it hurts to sit still , or you need ice  ,much better to give your body a bit of tlc . My husband gets sciatica , has done for years. Awful pain, you could really do without that at the moment. Do let us no how you get on at docs tomorrow .
    • Posted

Hi Mandy yeah I do feel better for speaking to them as they say what will be will be! To be honest it's the sciatica more than anything that's causes me so much distress! Not really sure what doctor can do but I'm so fidgety cos I can't get comfortable day or night!! Going in about 2 hrs so will let you know what she suggests xx
  • Posted

I feel for you, sciatica is not nice and I actually got rid of it through Acupuncture which i didnt' believe would happen.  She lady only used 4 needles in all and after 3 weeks it started disappearing and then at 6 weeks it had disappeared completely.  My father in law did Acuptuncture on animals and it also worked so one can't say it was mind over matter.  good luck
  • Posted

5 week is such, you are at the beggining of the road not at all far down it, maybe what you thoght was a panic attack was your body talking to you. I am 12 week post op and have not yet had a full nights sleep, so still rest in the day.You have had major surgery be kind to your self, best wishes
    • Posted

Thank you Dotty Lotty I've been to see my gp today because I've not been sleeping mainly because of this flaming sciatica!! She's given me different meds and some sleeping pills just so I can get some quality sleep! Hopefully then I might be able to cope a bit better x
    • Posted

Thank you 😉 for the first time in ages I'm not dreading going to bed 
    • Posted

If you are not used to sleeping tablets just be cautious on getting up . sometimes they make you dizzy. here speaks the voice of experience!  On my fourth night home, first time with sleeping pills,  i flaked out in the bathroom narrowly missing my head on the basin . . but it took me AGES to get back up again!
    • Posted

Yes I found out when I was woken up from a lovely sleep by my cat deciding to be sick!!! Felt most odd but managed to clear up even though I can't remember much about it!!!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.