5 weeks post op total knee

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post op today and there are times I wish I hadn't had this new knee put in. I am doing my exercises, going to therapy, and icing the knee. I feel as though the 90 degree bend and 6 degree straight will never get better.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh no....I'm feeling bad because at 8 days I'm only 105 bend...still have a ways to go on the flat....my quad won't cooperate yet....it hurts, it burns and makes me nausas to try it.....I'm trying to be patient and was hoping at 52 would bounce back a lot quicker than I am....being on here and talking with other TKR patients sure is helping...
    • Posted

I am 51 and thought I would bounce back quick too.  Keep the knee exercises going, 105 is really good 8 days out.
  • Posted

Early days Suzanne.  Don't worry and don't rush it, it will come.  I really regretted having mine down at your stage too but it will be worth it in the end, I promise you, good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you for the encouragement.  Therapy was rough today though, did alot of stretching this time.  
  • Posted

Hi, had mine 3 weeks ago and feel the same, although I must say today is the 1st day I've not cried!!   I've gathered this is a long slow recovery process, and can't honestly see myself walking unaided in the future. My leg bend really hurts, and is so swollen it feels impossible to bend any further.  Sympathies to you Suzanne xx 
    • Posted

You will be able to walk without anything soon.  My swelling gets better and then worse again. I elevate alot and use ice.
  • Posted

Just keep with it Suzanne, I guess we are all very impatient to get it over and done with. Saw a young guy today in a wheel chair - he looked like he was in it forever- makes you think.
    • Posted

You are right. There are people out there that will never walk again. I am blessed.
  • Posted

Stay encouraged Suzanne. I am 1wk post PKR and the hardest part is the Physical Therapy. Bending at 90 degrees is the most painful. But I am a semi pro Bowler, so I am doing A LOT OF SELF TALK

Don't get depressed or down on your self. You can email me anytime

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I'm also 8 days post tkr and ex bowler. So looking forward to the day I can bowl again ( I'm 78)
  • Posted

suzanne

you will get better. just keep up with the exercises and the icing afterwards and youll be fine 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne, I'm 6 weeks post op and 50.  am really glad i had my op, from the moment i woke up the pain was completely different. In saying that the road has been tough, physio hard going but i keep at it, icing and elevating. Sleep a full night...i dont remember the last night i had a full night, so am incredibly tired, at the moment could cry all the time.

I am as i said glad i had it done as could not physically gone on with the intense bone on bone pain.

Make sure you keep on top of pain meds especially before physio, my bend is now 100 but not completely straight which i have to work hard on this week. Hope you feel better soon, we will all get there. x

• Posted

Suzanne, hang in there. I'm 8 and 4 months past my TKRs and your feelings are totally normal. I had my boo hoos with my PT around 4 weeks both times but around 6 weeks and 12 weeks I saw a jump in achievments. I started doing stairs normally around 8 weeks, got off the cane around the same time. At 12-14 weeks I was suddenly able to walk longer distances (walking my dog and making it through airports), lift and carry a reasonable amount of weight and drop my pain pills.

It WILL get better. Keep up with what you're doing, you're heading in the right direction. Suddenly you'll look up and realize how much better you're doing. I would have both knees done again in a heartbeat. You'll be there soon.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

I was about the same at 5 weeks. I made no real progress until I got onto Youtube and searched for Knee replacement exercises. There I saw short videos from around the world, showing different techniques used to achieve, bend and flexion. I experimented with a range of them, found what suited me best and adapted them to my needs. My exercises were 4 times a day, every day and by 8 weeks I had broken through and was getting around 120 bend and a fairly straight leg. By 12 weeks my Surgeon was happy enough that he didn't want to see me until the 1st anniversay of surgery, which will be the first week of Nov 2016. When you get to the point that you can walk without crutches you can learn a different walking technique, i.e. heel, ball of foot, then toe. Heel, ball, toe and you'll find this work on your calf/knee and leg.

May the force be with you.

john

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.