5 weeks post TKR can’t bend knee..

Posted , 17 users are following.

I can straighten my knee no problem but can’t bend it fully. Can anyone suggest anything that would help me achieve this.Thankyou.

3 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pat

Have you been doing all the exercises your PT has given you? It is painful especially in the first few weeks but if you’re icing and elevating in between exercising it should get a little easier each week to bend a little more. What is your PT saying about it, you may need to see your consultant again or even have MUA if there is no bend. Make sure you’re medicating properly so that it helps with the pain if that is what is putting you off doing the exercises. I’ve got my second knee being done in 4 weeks ..... Best of luck 

Regards

Jay

• Posted

Hi Jaylo thank you for responding so quickly.I’m in UK and we aren’t given any physio after discharge from hospital.I am doing my exercises that are shown just on a sheet of paper.I can bend my leg enough to sit in a chair normally but no further.

I also am on strong meds so pain not issue.Maybe I’m just expecting too much too soon.

• Posted

Hi Pat

I’m also in U.K. I was in hospital for 3 nights and the physio came each day to see me and get me doing the exercises. I also had to walk up and downstairs before they allowed me to go home. I had a physio session when I had my clips out (10 days post op) then an appt every 10 days until I had my appt with the Consultant at 7weeks post op and he was plsd with the bend at 110 so signed me off from physio.  The meds were my saving grace and I used to dose myself up well before each session but it still hurt like hell. 

Be kind to yourself when you’re doing the exercises and little by little you will bend it more and more I’m sure. 

Best wishes

Jay x

• Posted

Hi I'm 5 weeks and only have a 40 degree bend, my PT is referring me for a MUA, in the meantime I'm still exercising religiously

• Posted

Thanks Natalie I’m glad to hear it’s not just me.I’m doing exercises too and all my other movement is fine.I don’t know exactly what I should be able to do at this stage as in UK no physio after discharge from hospital.
    • Posted

Don't worry just keep up the exercises in your booklet. It takes time. Ice, elevate plenty. Exercises always feel hard and not very successful in the early weeks but just keep doing them! Heels slides are one of the best!

• Posted

I'm in the UK but after 3 sessions she gave up and said I should have a MUA also she's referred me to hydrotherapy, I must admit I have been let down as I was left with a straight leg in hospital for 5 days , they got me up after day 3 walked me to the door then sat me in a chair with my leg on a stool , it wasn't till discharge day they got me bending it which I really struggled with and have been ever since.

• Posted

I would ask about physio, as far as I know you should get 6 sessions with a physio on NHS but I know everywhere is different, ask your consultant or GP but don’t wait, there’s usually a waiting list! Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Pat

I’m UK you really should be given Physio after TKR on the NHS or private. Contact your GP. 

If your 5 weeks post op you should be able to gonin swimming pool if this is option go in baby pool it’s warmer and try your bends in there. All of my friends who have had knee done in UK have had physio. 

Do your heel slides on bed but with your good leg bent makes it a little easier. 

I’m opposite to you I’m not straight yet. 

Good luck x

Ice and pain killers before exercise help 

• Posted

Thank you so much.That’s the thing everyone is different.I can get totally straight and when using my crutches I’m hardly limping at all.I will keep trying and see if I can get the bending improved.
  • Posted

Hi Pat, I'm now 5 months post op and range of movement has been a continuous problem for me. At 5 weeks it's very early but this is the best time to improve it before scar tissue settles in to our I have. Ice, elevate to get swelling down, if your muscles around the knee feel tight give them a good rub with deep heat I use tiger balm red which helps relax the muscles. If your scar is healed completely you can try having a bath with Epsom salt in it. The best ROM exercises are cycling on a static bike, heel slides religiously not only does it help bend the knee it also strengthens the hamstring. I hook a scarf across the sole of my foot and cross it in front of my shin and just pull and hold for 30 seconds. My bend is continuously improving. So at 3 weeks I was 60 degrees, at 7 weeks 85 degrees and now I'm hitting 110 degrees more often than not. It does vary when I have some days better than others but this is how recovery from a TKR is I'm afraid. Keep at it it does improve x

• Posted

Thank you for advice.It’s great to hear from people who understand.I will keep trying my best.
  • Posted

If you are straight you have won 80% of the battle. That will help to keep you from limping. Just keep working on the bending process. Scar tissue can be the issue and it just needs continual educating to make it streatch and break down and stay broken. I am a scar tissue manufacturer of the highest degree and I'm 3 years + since my last surgery and fight it continually. Don't be discouraged just stay with the stationary bike and other methods you are used to. My 1st tkr 14 yrs ago, the bending exercise regime was 20 mins on the bike and then lay face down on a table while the PT grabbed the ankle and tried to hit you in the butt with your heel. Pain was unbearable and the treatment inhumane but it ripped the scar tissue out. You could hear it tearing. 9 years later when I had the revision, the whole method had changed for the better.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice,very helpful.This is my 4th ortho surgery.I have had 2 spinal fusions with instrumentation (my X-rays look like I have scaffolding in my back lol) and a total hip replacement.I recovered very well from those with no problems.This knee has been a nightmare.I actually felt traumatised.Here in NIreland you get no physio once discharged from hospital.I think that’s part of my problem.
  • Posted

It’s very early days for you so just keep doing your exercises and I’m sure your ROM will improve over time.

I’m now 12 months post TKR and I’m very pleased with my ROM, not much different to pre TKR luckily.

All the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.