5 weeks post TKR op. Sleep is becoming impossible

Posted , 11 users are following.

I know I asked two weeks ago but my sleep pattern has got a lot worse.  I cannot get to sleep at all the last few nights and lie awake moving about all night long.  I am getting more and more depressed and the thought of this for the rest of my life is unbearable.

every bone, muscle, nerve etc in the operated leg seems to be in pain when I lie down and I just cannot get a position I can find comfortable at all.

i am going to go back to my doc as soon as possible as this can't continue, bug in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions.

you have been my lifesavers in the past, so fingers crossed you can help again.  It is 3.51 am at present and I went to bed at 9.45 pm and have been awake the whole time.  I am exhausted.

liz

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm back taking the meds regularly at least till î get through this stage.

unfortunately as I didn't get much sleep last night I kept nodding off all evening.  I am in bed now and fingers crossed.

I didn't do as many exercises yesterday or today as one of my daughters came to see me for the weekend.

I can though walk upstairs one foot in front of each other and without a stick.  It's a bit ungainly but I can do it.  Going downstairs I haven't mastered yet, it's a lot more difficult and so far I haven't quite managed it.

i am happy with my progress if only I got a decent sleep.  Lying òn top of a folded duvet and it feels comfortable. Here's hoping.

Liz x

• Posted

just wanted to say that I got 7 hours sleep last night, 2 hours, then another 2 hours, then 3 hours.  I woke up like a totally different person and know for sure that the lack of sleep is the killer.  

I am am taking the meds regularly and will do so for a little while, hopefully get a better sleep. Then wean myself off the Tramadol.  Have to drive hopefully on 16th December.

thanks again for everyone's help.  You are amazing.

liz

• Posted

I have to agree with those who recommend that you take the pain meds prescribed.   I figured, after surgery, I had three choices re meds:  1.  tough guy: take them only when it was terrible.   2.  chase the pain: only take them when the pain starts.  or 3.  by the clock - regular schedule of meds. 

I did some research on pain meds and found that they all have an uptake time, plateau in the blood, and then fall off.  Many have a time frame (like Tramadol) that gives you peak pain suppression after say 36 hours.  Regardless, I chose the by the clock!  I found a  mid point in the Rx, took them regularly every 4 hours --regardless of pain levels-- and went 10 days post op with no pain.  I stopped cold (using oxy and tramadol) in order to drive, found the pain easily manageable by lesser meds, and suffered no adverse consequences.  

Pain is usually unnecessary, sleep is necessary -- pain and sleep are usually mutually exclusive.

• Posted

You were lucky not to get any adverse consequences when you stopped tramadol . .I got shaking, hallucinations, stomach pain, diarrhoea, anxiety, breathing problems etc. etc. . .they were great while taking them though I certainly couldn't say I was ever pain free, but they did make it bearable. 
    • Posted

It's certainly accurate that drugs are an individual thing!  Mostly, the tramadol didn't do anything.   I hope that people, reading these posts, realize that doctors prescribe drugs and PT according to a Mr/Ms everybody kind of thinking.  
  • Posted

Hi Liz - that is horrible. I used sleeping pills and a pillow between my knees. I got about 4 hours a night for the first 2 weeks. I am 26 days out from surgery now and sleeping better. I take a pain pill and a sleeping pill. Call your doctor for help, lack of sleep will slow your recovery down. Good luck! Sandy 
  • Posted

Hi

I was on slow release Tramadol, didn't help much, just made me feel sick in the morning.  Spoke to my GP yesterday as not sleeping and advised to take Ibuprofen  and Co codamol - slept all night - bliss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.