5 weeks still pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today marks 5 weeks that I had my surgery on my right rotator cuff. I started some ROM ( straightening my arm and dangling a little bit) last week.

Now I wake up at night & morning  in the most excruciating pain. Stabbing sharp pains. I keep telling myself it’s probably because it’s healing but the pain is horrible. I’m supposed to stop wearing this  immobilizer next Sunday & switch to a regular sling and I’m worried about the pain now. Can anybody tell me is this normal? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi  Mia....have  you started physical therapy yet?   I think you will find that helps.   At least with my therapist I know he focuses not only on range of motion, but reducing pain.  The first time I  had shoulder surgery, it seemed like I was always in pain and I wondered if it was worth it.  Eventually everything calmed down and it went away.  When do you see your doctor again?  If it is still happening, be sure to ask him.   Hope all is well soon for you.  It's a miserable surgery.

• Posted

I see my doctor this coming Sunday, to stop wearing the immobilizer and start PT next week. Right now he’s got me taking the apparatus off straightening my arm in the shower letting it dangle slightly and doing nose to toes exercises. But the pain the past three days has been excruciating. 
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you are going through that kind of pain.  I only had that sharp pain before surgery, not after.  My pain is always there now, but I only had surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.  It's not so bad as to take pain pills though.   Sounds like maybe it's swollen and maybe something is pinched.  Are you using ice?

• Posted

Hi, I was told by my surgeon to take paracetamol when doing exercises. Also always use frozen peas after exercising as it is quite painful initially, and don’t overstretch .

Above all, see your physio . Good luck

• Posted

What is that, a pain med? Never heard of it. And  I  keep seeing people refer to “physio”

I don’t know what that is either? I’m wondering if some of the people posting here are from the UK?

Or someplace else?

Because some of the terms like above are not used in the United States.

I will be starting my physical therapy in about a week. I have a wonderful clay ice pack that molds around my shoulder that I use off &  on all day. I find that Im mostly in pain when I wake up in the middle of the night & morning. I am not taking any pain meds except for Tylenol extra strength, per my Ortho Surg. And I don’t like to take it  that often.

Thanks for the well wishes tho!

I’m hoping everything gets better when I start physical therapy !!

• Posted

I assumed physio is physical therapy.   I have one of those clay ice packs too.   I liked them a lot and take one to bed every night.  You might want to try that
    • Posted

I usually try to ice it right before bed because it doesn’t say cold and then get up in the middle the night if I need it and put it on. I’m not seeing a physical therapist yet so  I googled physio and couldn’t figure out what it was?

Thanks for ideas!! Helps so much to have ppl to talk to that truly understands 😊

• Posted

Sorry, you’re absolutely right. I am writing from the UK and physio is  an  abbreviation for physiotherapist . Good luck in any case as he/she will be able to reassure and advise  you . It WILL get better. 
  • Posted

Oh and btw paracetamol is the equivalent of an over the counter pain med
  • Posted

The drug you are asking about is tylenol here in the states. Also, your arm hurts that much because you haven't used it in 5 weeks, this surgery takes a lot of time to be pain free. I had it in June of last year and still have dull pain. Everyone heals differently.Be easy on yourself. It will get better and be sure and ice also.

• Posted

Oh my gosh.... thank you so much!  I hoped it wouldn’t hurt so much ugh!

Appreciate your words!

• Posted

This sight is amazing for information. If you wonder how you are doing just come here and ask, I really appreciated the feedback I have gotten here. I wasn't crazy after all LOL. A lot of this I've come to realize are because doctors don't tell us what to expect.

• Posted

Oh my gosh, you are totally correct. I think they just think they fix everything, you have to wear this apparatus for six weeks no big deal, and everything‘s gonna be fine see you in three weeks. But have they ever worn one of these friggin things for six weeks? Have they felt this pain? Have they had the surgery? I think you are 100% correct. When I first came on here somebody said that I am now in a new club. I keep running people on the street that have had this surgery because they have the same immobilizer on!

We stop, we look at each other laugh and say “rotator cuff surgery?“. 

And then we compare notes. This is been a godsend for me to be able to come here, voice my opinion ask questions and usually get sympathy and good answers. Thanks everyone 

• Posted

That's so true about seeing others with this thing hanging on their arm.  ha ha   I never noticed so much before and no one can know how it is unless they have been through it,  including  our doctors.  My big thing was being sent home from  surgery too soon.  I know it is day surgery but sometimes it just doesn't work out  that way.  I had a very difficult time waking up and was so nauseated and dizzy.  Every time  they tried to stand me up, the room was spinning and I was vomiting.  After 4 hours they pushed me into the car and sent me home to deal with it.  That's just wrong.  I was vomiting on the way home and so dizzy.  Every person is different and reacts different.  I wish the health care providers would remember this.  Like you....you probably shouldn't be in so much pain,  but you are.  That is the reality.  I hope your doctor  addresses it when you see him.  I really believe your therapist is going to help you the most.  They know all the tricks to reduce pain and make your more comfortable.  Let me know how that goes.  You've got lots of people to help you on here.

• Posted

Yes, you are an official member of the club.  ICE as much as you can throughout the day!!  Slow and steady wins this race.  GOOD LUCK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.