5 weeks thr post op

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi! Wanted to share my hip replacement story. I had anterior on the left. I was surprised at the amount of pain! I had read up and everything seemed to indicate it would be a cakewalk! To back up, i am 59 y/0, 25 pounds overweight. Up until about 5 months prior to surgery i had been quite active, walking 4 miles 4 days/week, aerobics, eating well, light weight lifting ,etc. At 5'5, i weight 162, alot of it was muscle. In short, i was in pretty good shape. Then the hip became excruciatingly painful, throbbing, spasms, hip buckling, etc. You all know the score. I became nearly sedentary, became depressed and gained 25 pounds. Got the doctor runaround until finally got to see ortho, and found to have "severe" arthritis.

So here i am, this morning, after a sleepless night, my hip is very swollen and painful. after building up for two weeks, Yesterday walked 1 1/2 miles and had a vigorous PT session. In short, i guess i way over did it.

I am taking Tylenol, gabapentin , meloxicam and oxycodone , the latter tapered off to only when necessary. Today it is necessary!!😬.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi when did you have your op?

• Posted

Hi sally ! My sur gery was 11-18. Yes! I agree i have done too much too soon😣. My musc cles were so weak in my hip and leg from 5 months of doing pretty much NOTHING for 5 months , (not to mention limping badly) i have to pretty much start at zero and work up. I wanted folks who were trying to do too much may find themselves in the same boat. Youre right, everyone is different, i have read about some people who have gone back to work after 2 weeks!!! God bless em!

My doctor is very cavalier, hes retiring in January so he really couldnt care less- my PT is the one who has told me to back off.

so im gonna spend alot mote time with my feet up and binge watch shows on my Ipad. And try not to feel guilty!

• Posted

a lot of things are going on .. everything is trying to heal after being ripped open ... gentl excercise and resting is important .. hope you recover from your workout , it must be sore and it makes me screw my face up at the thought of a work out right now .. me personally an no where near ready fir that ! lol

• Posted

ive just seen your 5 weeks post op … crikey i dont think you should be doing a vigerous work out yet , have you been given the all clear to? i can only just walk without a crutch in the house , we are all different i suppose but im guessing if your in too much pain now then youve over done it .

• Posted

hi there

you really should not be in that much pain ?

check your bloods , especially CRP which should only be 3 and under normally but after op could go up around ten . if its 15 and over plus your white blood cells are up and your anemic id be worried you have a infection. you take control of your recovery dontl let them bully you

into anything your not able to do and tell them what you want ! do not over do things it will take time to get stronger , your muscles have to mend as well as get stronger .

i myself in short form have had infection from surgery done nearly 4 years ago and they didnt find it till 2.5 years ago ( and the signs were there they just didnt pick it up ) i have had a two phase hip replacements with antibiotic pick line and 4 dislocations and then another surgery to keep it in . what i have learned from the past 15 months is to ask the questions and be in control of my recovery . Good luck

• Posted

My CRP went up to 415 after my hip op. I was not allowed home until it went down a bit to 120.

• Posted

way to much to soon. you need to slow down .hip exercises and walking only. this is major surgery no cake walk.

Just had my right hip replaced 2 weeks ago its been rough I have home PT and lots of help. no bending no crossing legs .it takes time and rest . sleep is hard but it will get better.

had my left hip done 3 years ago took months to get to where hip felt good.

i am 65 years old no other health issue s

good luck

• Posted

Hi susan! How are yiy doing now- its about 3 weeks since your right hip? I am glad you have lots of help. I am at about 6 weeks now- last week i was SO discouraged; the pain was worse, esp at night, throbbing, deep deep aching in thighs, spasms, holy cow ! I didnt sign up for this!!! 😀 . For the past two nights it has gotten increasingly better. Minutely, tiny bit , but better. I live in an upstairs loft so i go up and down stairs 6,7 times daily. Again, alittle easier. I took a two hour car trip and it only got uncomfirtable on the way home. Keeping leg straight out is a MUST!! And, best of all- i was able to take a BATH!! Laying down in tub for a long soak - priceless! I think i have turned a corner and recovery is beginning!!!

• Posted

Thank you for your information. Unfortunately I am used to a fair amount of pain as I have already had two spinal operations on a sciatic nerve and a knee replacement and also have osteoporosis arthritis. I take Pregablin daily and co codamol the other drugs you mentioned I don't think are prescribed in the UK unless they are but under another name. I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems after your operation m,hopefully mine will have a better outcome I will let you no after 28th Feb 2020 !

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.😊

• Posted

first of all , a merry Christmas to you all, I have just been reading your thread, like everyone we want to be able to carry on doing every day things where we left off, sadly this isn't the case I am now the proud owner of two THPs one which I have had nothing but trouble with but that's another story.

you have just got to rest and do things slowly, there's no time limit in which you have to get from A to B, it's doing you no favours on trying to do a 4 mile walk , or doing PT to the extreme, a lot of these PTs and surgeons have never experienced the pain you go through on a day to day basis, like I and others have mentioned, put your feet up, never mind who's going to wash the dishes make the beds, etc, just light exercise every hour or so is enough I used to walk upto the kitchen door and back and I was exhausted.

Rest, Sleep,Relax, light exercise, make the most of all mentioned, Have a lovely Xmas Day and enjoy the the rest. πŸ˜ƒ

• Posted

i had anterior left hip replacement 18 months ago, a piece of cake, almost no pain from day one. Four weeks ago i had right anterior hip replacement and it was much more painful, I can walk without a stick around the house and for a while outside, i can drive but my muscles let me know if Ive done too much and its still painful when i get out of bed in the morning, I also need nurofen a couple if times a day. i can sleep on my opposite side as i could do from day one, i was only in hospital for 24 hours. Every hip replacement is different, with some very little pain and others a bit longer. The muscles are pulled around with the anterior replacement and these take time to heal. I had a spinal anesthetic without sedative and the whole procedure was fascinating

• Posted

hi Janet. you mention your muscles let you know if you've done too much. in what way do you know this? what type of pain/discomfort does it cause to know its muscles and from where? hip/thigh.

sorry for all questions but I'm 3wks post op and wondered how your body is telling you?

thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.