5 wks post labrum repair - alot of pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a slap repair with 2 anchors roughly 5 weeks ago. Unfortunately, I fell straight down onto all 4s this past Sunday. There was no popping and no sudden pain. I called my drs office the next day and they told me to stop PT for a few days and ice it. Tuesday (without even thinking), I picked up a box down cellar that my husband thinks weighs around 20 lbs. I had no pain and no popping but I knew I shouldnt have done that. no pain later that night but I iced it alot. The following 4 days have been horrible. I had gone back to PT that Thursday and this week we started overhead passive motion with a pully system on a door. I dont know if it was the fall, the lifting of that box or the PT that has aggravated it but I am in alot of pain. I still have good range of motion when I do my exercises at home but it aches terribly.

To add to my mess, I just found out this past Sunday (same day I fell) that I am pregnant so idk if they will even do a xrays to see if I pulled an anchor or anything. I know that an MRI is out of the question (as I am now pregnant AND it's too soon after surgery to see if I retore my labrum).

Do you guys think I retore anything or it may just be aggravated? Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello:

I hope you are feeling better. I was paranoid about ruining my rotator cuff repairs on both my shoulders as well. I asked the therapist and doctors what was a sign of a torn repair and they said that it would be pain. I guess pain without doing anything that means.

In your case it seems like you didn't have pain after you lifted those things but the pain occurred after physical therapy. Probably the pain comes from the exercise. I thnk you should just go with it, see if the pain diminishes, and continue your therapy cautiously and see if it becomes less after each session. Lots of patients have pain after their exercises, so it's difficult to tell if it comes from that or a compromised repair.

I'd also talk to both your doctor and therapist and tell them your concerns and they should give you advice as well as moral support. Congratulations on the pregnancy and please keep us posted on your progress!

• Posted

Hello! And thank you!

I did the lifting on Tuesday and the pain started on Wednesday. Then I had PT on Thursday and it's just gradually gotten worse. I'm so nervous I did something. Stupid mistake but in my defense, I had alot on my mind and I just wasnt thinking. I'm going to kick myself if I went thru all of this for nothing and reversed it all over a stupid mistake.

Icing it has been my best option so I've been doing that almost every hour.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.