5 year old diagnosed with HSP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone. My 5 year old was just diagnosed with HSN today. I know the Internet is horrible to go to but I'm at a loss and trying not to freak out. He has had the rash on his legs, just below the knees so far. He's had them for a week now. He started complaining last night that it hurt to walk and could barely walk. So I took him into his pediatrician and luckily he knew what it was. Tested his kidneys and they were ok. He has to go back in a week for a recheck. He said it will get worse before it gets better. So far he has not had any pain anywhere else or swelling or the rash anywhere else. Most if not all stories I have read seem like it will get much worse than what he has now. So anyone with information whether good or bad would be much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That good because the rash is confined to below knees only. Betnovate or Euvate will give some relief.

Any joint pain or abdominal pain

Use warm compress and rest. 

Did it trigger from any food or chemical?

• Posted

Well I noticed last night that he has now spots of the rash on his upper legs, hands, and arms. He has had joint pain in his legs and feet and last night was saying his elbow hurts. This morning his left leg is swollen and his right foot is swollen. Last night he also mentioned his private area hurting and he does have the rash around there as well. His doctor thinks it was trigger from a virus.
    • Posted

Yes, it seems to trigger off of a virus or exposure to something they are allergic to.  It seems like it's getting worse so even though he is quite young I would stongly ask about trying something like prednisone taper to see if it can stop it from progressing worse.  The taper means you start with certain dose and lower it daily until you get back to zero.  Much better outcomes as the studies have shown with early treatment of prednisone.   Just google it with HSP and check a few studies.    I had same type, but much older.  Good news is at younger age less likely to have this reoccur later.  Also, mine ending up being allergy so be careful and track what he eats if symptoms reoccur later.

• Posted

There are some very scary stories- my 5 year old daughter being one of them. But find comfort in the fact that most mild cases never post anything. So all the stories are the terrible ones. I would've never posted Coopers story if it wasn't so bad. It's good to be aware of what could happen, it don't stress too much. Hopefully your sons story will be short enough to not need a post! Pray hard and have faith!

• Posted

My daughter got HSP when she was 3 yrs old. She had tummy pain, swelling in the legs, ankle/joint pain and rashes on legs/hands. She didnot have any kidney infection. The doctor monitored her urine samples daily for some time to ensure that there was no kidney infection. In her case, the HSP went away after 3-4 weeks. For most young kids, my understanding is that the HSP will automatically go away faster in young kids if there are no kidney or other complications( my understanding is that it goes away within a month). In my daughter's case. she got another bout of hsp when she was 11 and that took longer to resolve. I wish your son a speedy recovery  !

• Posted

My 2 boys, aged 3 and 6 both had this at the same time in 2011. It was the worst time of my life. The youngest one took a year to fully recover. The oldest one only took 6 weeks to recover. Stay strong. Rash, joint swelling, stomach cramps, scrotal swelling, not eating or drinking, query intussusception, protein and blood in urine - to name a few of their symptoms. How I survived that year I don't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.