5 year old with crohns?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my 5 year old has had intermittent pain in his bum for 2 years. A few weeks ago my poor boy was in so much pain he couldnt walk so i checked him and found a massive lump near his anus. At the hospital they took him down to surgery where they found a large abscess and a fistula... they cleaned and drained the abscess and fitted a seton with a view to operate in a few months. They took bloods and biopsies and mentioned chrones to us... although they were not worried as he is so young.

3 weeks later i call for biopsy results and the surgeon still hasnt looked at them. The biopsies were inconclusive but showed 'chronic inflammation'

The consultant still has not contacted me about this. His bloods were pretty normal apart from mild anemia and inflammation markers were up (due to abscess?)

Would an abscess or fistula show as chronic inflammation? Or is there something else going on? It seems highly probable to me that he has this but docs seem unconcerned due to his age. Its so rare apparently. Im out of my mind, its been 3 weeks plus the 2 years on top of chasing. I just want to know whats up with my boy.

Sorry for rambling lol x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear of this it must be very worrying. The doctors seem to be dragging their feet in getting back to you. Are their any cases of crohns in the family

• Posted

It's awful that you have been dealing with this for so long and 3 wks is too long to wait for biopsy results. Can you call the consultant yourself? There are a couple sites on the internet discussing young children with crohn's --especially children's hospitals. So look thru that but I would keep persisting and calling to get that consultant appt and results of biopsies. I can't answer the question about chronic inflammation and blood markers.Hope you hear something soon

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. No history of it in the family that i am aware of. I managed to email one of his consultants and he messaged back saying that the chronic inflammation fits with the infected fistula and he isnt concerned about anything else going on. I feel much better about it. Though i still want to know what is causing it in the first place. Ive been so worried so my mind is at rest for now until he goes back under in a few months x

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear that your young son gone through alot. It is crohn's that is one of the side effects of the chronic inflammation. Hope your son and you get to find out soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.