50 degree Curve

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was told by my doctors a few years ago, my curvature should stop, but I'm worried it hasn't not for any particular reason think it's just anxiety. Is it worth checking out? Also I've heard that a curve this big, can cause complications in pregnancy and labour?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can only speak to my own experience. I had my upper curve surgically halted at age 11, but in middle age it was discovered that I had developed a nasty compensatory curve in my tailbone. My yoga practice took care of my pain, I would live to know if it has lessened my curve also.
    • Posted

Forgot to add: so yes I do think our spines change throughout life 😀

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! Yoga is also something I'm thinking of starting, to help ease the pain. 

• Posted

Look into a certified Schroth therapist (specialized phsio for scoliosis & kyphosis). They will want a recent x-ray (which will answer your question) and work with you to ensure no further progression and target specific muscles to compensate to your curve so no pain and full mobility. Some young people (my son) have been able to achieve some actual correction with schroth - in adults its very useful to prevent progression and gain pain free understanding and control of your curve.It's a daily work out you have to be committed to but it really works. Please look into it. 

• Posted

Hiya, so when i was 11 i was told that the doctors would monitor the growth of my curve, it was around 52 degrees by then and then by 13 it had reached 60 degrees so i had the op. 

I had no idea if my spine curvature had increased and i didn't know how fast it could grow but it did.

I had the op for scoliosis when i was 13 and i am now 17, I'm perfectly normal i do everything i used to just got to be more careful such as ice skating and bending over.

there is different procedures for people with scoliosis who have the rods in their back but all you do is tell the nurses and they are aware so I'm not worried about pregnancy complications.

Emily x

• Posted

Are you pregnant? U need to speak with a special doctor no matter what ok? Keep me posted please! I have severe kyphosis more thoracic and major humped over because I'm stuck in this position because of a pain med called methadone which gave me narcolepsy but I'm not on that drug anymore but the damages have already been done and can't be fixed! I pray you can get something done my friend and keep possitive 💖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.