50+ tiny splinters in foot- Any ideas as to how to get them out?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sorry in advance if this isn't really the right section, I just can't find any good info on this particular subject elsewhere and was hoping someone here might have an idea of what to do. 

I'll spare you the story- Gist is that I stepped on something in the woods today and ended up with what looks to be more than fifty very tiny splinters in my right foot(as seen in the included photos). Honestly, I really don't know what to do. They're too small to pull out via tweezers, but putting any pressure on that part of my foot confirms that they're big enough to press the nerves- not to mention the risk of them getting infected. 

I've already tried pulling/soaking/scrubbing them out, and have anointed the region with neosporin, but can't figure out how to actually remove them. Would really like to avoid going to the hospital for something this tiny, but I'm kind of at my wit's end beyond just hoping they're small enough to just fall out on their own. 

Anyone have an idea of what I can do to get these out? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex!  

I would go to the hospital or your doctor to get things checked out. They should know what to do. Have you tried squeezing them out? 

I looked online and there are a few remedies listed such as tape, potato slices and baking soda paste. Maybe you could look these methods up. The title is "Easy ways to remove splinters"

Hopefully, someone else in this forum will be more helpful. I hope you get rid of them soon!

• Posted

Not an easy one and I'm not sure that a doctor or hospital wouldnt have a foolproof remedy.  They make break as you try to get them out.  You can try soaking your foot in soapy water...as hot as you can bear for about 10 minutes and then rubbing vigorously with a towel. Do that over the next few days and it may help. Eventually they will reduce but those that are left may form tiny bumps under the skin. If your foot becomes red,hot and swollen it may be an allergic reaction and you need a doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.