50 to 60% of depressed people actually have mixed depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

I read an article that 1/3 of all people with depression actually have mixed depression which is why depressed people sometimes don’t get full remission.

My pdoc says that he thinks it’s more like 50 to 60% in his practice, which means you have to be treated with mood stabilizers too.

It’s been over a year, and finally feel like I am headed in the right direction towards stabilization.  It took so long because I am very reactive, and sensitive to medication, so I would have to go up 1/8 to 1/4 of a pill at a time sometimes.

Are you on a mood stabilizer if you are treatment resistant.  Many tmes the answer is to add an antipsychotic or an anticonvulsant.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I have tried several anti deps and can only toleratemthem at low levels till they give me agitation which was the first thing to appear with my anxiety and depression.  They gave me seroquel with them at a low dose 50mg but i got bo better.  Since then theyve tried to,change anti dep and then tried risperidone but no respite.  I still wake feeling like death could just swallow me, some days i feel,better by teatime but my life is totally on hold. The agitation starts daily and i comtrol it with diazepam, then i take diazepam to,sleep.  No more than 10mg total in day.  I wonder if it would help me to try something like lamictal for the agitation in the hope of dropping diaz slowly.  Though imhave heard lamictal affects sleep badly.  Dont know what to suggest next. Psychiatrist,has failed with all attempts and im sure its due to not being able to get agitation down.  Olanzapine maybe, but its a nasty drug.
    • Posted

I know it’s hard, but you may have to try alot of medications before you find the right combo.  I have been dealing with this for over a year.  I have tried at least 13 different medications, in a number of different combinations.  Right now I am just on 3.  Paxil, Lamictal, and Klonopin.  At first lamictal caused problems with sleeping, but now it makes me sleep like a baby.  I will probably need more tweaking.  My doc thinks that if I get stable for 3 months, I can titrate of the paxil.

• Posted

I have just come off of taking Abilify as an adjunct to Sertraline.  Came off of it because of side effects including akathisia.  Initially it did improve my mood but that did not last.  Still dealing with side effects of Abilify - very long half-life.
    • Posted

I am so sorry.  It is difficult with these drugs.  It is all trial and error.  I got akathisia from risperdone.  I tried other antpsychotics, lithium, gabapentin.  The one that at leat went in the right direction is lamictal.  It has been over 4 months since I started on lamictal, but we are getting closer to stabilization.  My doc made alot of med tweaks in that time to get to a more stable state.  I am stable from about 3pm to 5:30am,  but days are still rough, but now I have confidence that it is just a matter of time.
  • Posted

I have been taking lamictal for 6 years now.  I also take sertraline.  This has been the best combo by far for me.  
    • Posted

What symptoms did you have which made your dr give you lamictal? 

I am trying to get off mirtazapine and the original agitation and anxiety is back and i feel i probably need a better med to control it.  I am not bipolar, p.doc has told me, just anxiety.  Doesnt feel like that to me.

i wonder if lamictal would calm down the agitation for me?

• Posted

He decided to try it since I  was still depressed (crying all the time) and anxious despite being treated with antidepressants for many years.  It really leveled my moods.  I don't get irritable like I used to. We did adjust my antidepressant dosages with it.

• Posted

I am so happy to hear it helped you.  I have heard alot of stories about people who have depression who have not had total recovery with antidepressants.  Many people get relief from the anxiety and agitation with lamictal or some other mood stabilizer.  How much lamictal are you on.  I am on lamictal and paxil, and still trying to get the right mix.  Not there yet, but much better than I used to be.
    • Posted

I take 200 mg of lamictal and 75 mg of Zoloft.  I was on 150 mg of Wellbutrin xl also.  He added that in whenever I went to him saying I didn't have much energy.  So, for the past 7 years I was taking those 3 meds.  Then about a year ago, I decided I wanted to try to cut back on the meds I was taking, so I decided to try to come off of Wellbutrin, which I was successful with.  I took my last one about 6 months ago.  However, since then I have had to up my Zoloft to 75mg...(I had been on 25mg those 7 yrs).  And my depression is creeping back.  I. Ever really thought the Wellbutrin did much for me, but maybe I was wrong.  I may have to go back  on it as I was doing a little better.  Because, the more I increase my Zoloft it makes me pull my hair!!  Ugh.  Frustrating.  So, I won't change the lamictal, but I may have to adjust back to what I was on before.

• Posted

I know this sounds weird, but I am on 182.5mg lamictal, and 12.5mg paxil. I think I may need to increase the paxil.  I am calling my pdoc today to see what to do next. Hoping I can feel normal soon.  Hope all works well with you.  Lamictal has been the most helpful, but defiinitely need to take it with an antidepressant.  It seems when I feel good, then something happens, and we have to change the dose.  Oh well, I am hopeful
    • Posted

Oh yea.  I'm familiar with the weird dosages. I am super sensitive to these meds, so I have to go up slow and taper down slow.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.