50mg sertraline on 1st Day prescribed with Citalopram with a different Doctor.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay so I was diagnozed with anxiety/depression and was prescribed sertraline 50mg,

I took it at around 8:30pm on thursday and at about 11:30 i started to feel worst, anxiety heightened, shaky, cold and hot sweat, depressed, nervous, worst experience ever,

( Note; it's my first time taking A/D)

I had this crazy insomnia, suicidal thoughts, i had 5-15 minute sleeps every now and then.

Good thing i had my wife by my side to support me and call me down.

The next day (Friday) i felt depersonalized through the day there were times where i felt normal but it just hit me again. So night came and it all started again, as soon as I laid down i got this crazy heart beat sensation, the cold and hot sweats etc etc, and again my wife told me to calm down and try to rest, i had a better rest that night.

Saturday i woke up really sad and drepressed didnt feel like doing nothing, but i managed to get out of bed and proceed my day i felt up and down up until 6pm, i went to a generic medic and he prescribed me Citalopram and told me to start tomorrow sunday between 7-8pm, then on the way home i started to feel tired, ears clogged, dizzy, etc

I started to read some positive stuff and calmed myself down after i got home i took a Chamomile tea and was really relaxed, i then proceeded to sleep but before that i watched some relaxed music, breath techniques on youtube and found a video which i felt asleep to, i then woke up and got this crazy heart beats, i tried to calm myself down and felt asleep, i probably woke up around 5-10 times that night.

When i woke up Today (sunday) i was relaxed and didnt want to get out of bed i just felt really comfortable, i been feeling good throught the day and somehow my mind blocks every negative thought or weird feelings i get i dont know if i should proceed with Citalopram ( since sertraline was prescribed with another doctor) or wait and see what the doctor tells me tomorrow,

Any thoughts if i should keep taking medication or try to fight it out without it and use breath techniques and just be mentally strong? Thanks in advance and wish you all the best !

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, this is a tough one. Honestly, if we could be well without med, obviously none of us would be on med. Why put yourself thru all these side effects if the med isn't to improve your condition, right? I think by trial and error, only you can determine if you  want to fight it without the med (harder but perhaps doable for you, not for me though), or you fight it with the med (an easier option, but not necessarily the right option for you; everyone is different). I strongly suggest you see a therapist, talk therapy, CBT, etc. I also recommend drinking more chamomile tea as it seems to help. smile Since this attack, I too try to have one everyday. No more chai latte for this one, and a hot chocolate is a treat sometimes. Best of luck. Xx

• Posted

Hey thanks for the reply it's been 3 days since i took sertraline, you think it's too early to start on Citalopram 20mg? Should i take them or wait till tomorrow and ask the doctor ! Xx

• Posted

Sorry I can’t answer this question. I have never taken Citalopram before with sertraline so I can’t speak to that. However, I have taken Ativan with sertraline at my worst and that helped with the side effects and sleep, but Ativan is a benzo and it is fast-acting and wears off quickly and could be addicting, so I only took it at my worst. I’m currently only on 100mg of sert now. I would suggest go slow (start on an extremely low dosage) and work with your doc.
    • Posted

Hey thanks for the tip i really dont want to automedicate myself so i will talk to the doctor today on sleeping pills, since anxiety and depression make me sweat cold and sometimes wake me up at night, but im doing my best to think positive and listening to relaxing music on youtube, btw i didnt take Cit last night.

Xx

• Posted

Hello I've had all your describing insomnia palpitations. Unfortunately there's are more to come i started i. December had the palpitations for first few months. There are lots of physical symptoms from this drug at least until it's working full effect which apparently takes a long time. I do know you can't just quit them neither but beings as you haven't been on them long maybe it will be ok

Try not to worry as that's probably contributing to you're problems

• Posted

Hey thanks for the positive feedback but it all caught me off guard besides i wasnt given any other meds to calm side effects and i had to man it out, i will be seeing the doctor today, we'll see what she says!

Staying positive xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.