52 year old female constipation and gi issues. Normal colonoscopy 2 yrs ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am a 52 year old female.  I have been experiencing  bloating gas and some heartburn and indigestion off and on for several weeks.  Over the counter laxatives and stool softeners and miralax minimally effective.   My mother died of colon cancer at age 60.  I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago and it was totally normal, no polyps.  I was told to return in 5 years because of family history.  I have read and been told colon cancer always starts as polyps which take several years to become cancerous.   Wondering if another colonoscopy is indicated but really not wanting to do this again if not necessary.  Possible gyn issues have been ruled out as the cause of symptoms.   Any advice appreciated 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have almost the exact same story. My mom died at 62 of colon cancer.  Had colonoscopy 2 yrs ago--no polyps.  I have to take 5 dulcolax every other day for the constipation. I get gas and bloating, but don't have the heartburn or indigestion. I did the CA-19 marker test year, and the results were just a little over the top number of the range, so that's good news!  Wondering the same thing about having another colonoscopy sooner than

3 years. Didn't have any help for you, but maybe it helps that someone else shares the same exeriences.

• Posted

Did u have the normal colonoscopy 2 years ago or was it your mom? When do u have to go back? Now I have another worry-abnormal mammogram 
    • Posted

I had the colonoscopy.  I guess I go back in 3 years.  That will be 5 years.  It makes me a little nervous to have to wait that long.  Please keep us posted on your new condition.  Hopefully it won't be anything serious.

• Posted

Thanks lindy! A huge run around and lots of miscommunication but in the end they compared last years mammogram to the most recent and decided no follow up required.  So that was a relief.  Now on to the gi issues! 
  • Posted

Ask to see a GI doctor who will advise you on whether you need another colonoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.