52 year old with new diagnosed glaucoma

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've been diagnosed with glaucoma in both eyes. Mild in left and Mild to moderate in right according to my visual field test. I was wondering if any of you have had peripheral vision loss at your diagnosis and still been able to stop progression for a long period of time. I'm just hoping I can keep my vision and not go blind in the next 30 years. I'm looking for some hope. Thanks

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

if you have open angle glaucoma and you follow your doctor's orders, use ur meds, and keep ur stress level, blood pressure down and avoid anything that raise eye pressure you should be fine. i lost some central vision above the nose before I was diagnosed 3 yrs. ago at age 57 and also had laser surgery on my left eye (right eye had a stroke but i didnt lose vision). hang in there and do what they tell u and you will be ok. and do not expose ur eyes to sun without wearing polarized sunglasses. stay out of the sun as much as possible, wear hats.

• Posted

Do you have glaucoma in both eyes?

• Posted

• You will need to take prescribed eye drops for life unless you opt for surgery. Laser is only temporary.
    • Posted

I don't mind taking my drops as long as I can keep my sight. Do you have glaucoma?

• Posted

Yes, I have been taking 4 different eye drops twice a day for almost 10 years and have regular checkups. I am 89 years old and see well with glasses.

• Posted

Did you have optic nerve damage in your visual test?

• Posted

My optic nerve , according to my doctor are almost all black with a few space colored pink. I will be using my eye drops for life. And I can feel it's working with prayers.

• Posted

Hi, I had peripheral vision loss due to Glaucoma, my opthalmologist tried me on many different drops to keep the pressure down but nothing worked. So I ended up having a trabeculectomy 2 years ago at the age of 50 to preserve the vision I had got left. I don't need drops in that eye since the operation, only in my other eye now, and if I needed that operation in my other eye I wouldn't hesitate.

• Posted

There is great hope today for all of us. There are so many new treatment options available within the last 10 years, and many more in clinical trials-both medicines and lower risk surgery options.Just make sure that you are with a good Dr. who is experienced and is knowledgeable on all available treatments. That is your key to long term success, and always follow your treatment plan diligently.

The Glaucoma.org and Bright Vision web sites have great information about treatment options, and ongoing research. I also signed up for Helio email alerts about glaucoma news, which is encouraging. I find it helps me a lot to learn about new things in the field, gives me encouragement.

• Posted

Hi:

You are still very young and I am sure you will be fine as long as you follow your optha's directions. I have been diagnosed with glaucoma some more than 30 years ago and I neglected it. Only last december of 2018 did I consulted an opthalmologist only to find out that my right eye is already in an advanced state. At the time, am already experiencing some blurredness. But after 3 months of continous use of Latanaprost eye drops (xalatan), I felt significant improvememnts, All those years, I never lost my peripheral visions. By the way, I am already 72 years old from the Philippines. Best reagrdsa and take care of your eyes.

• Posted

Wow Teody,

I can't believe you went 30 years neglecting it and you are barely seeing blurry vision. You probably had great strong optic nerve earlier on.

• Posted

hi palooz

thanks for yout compliment. you are still very young and as long as you use eye drops to prevent glaucoma progression am sure you will be alright. we all know glaucoma is irreversible and there is no cure. just eat the right food and walking exercise for30 minutes every day plus a little morning sunshine will do you good. no need to worr y. . my experience was probably with GODS INTERVENTION. best regards

• Posted

Hi Teddy

do you have it in both eyes? Vision loss in both?

• Posted

Hi Palooz;

Yes I have it in both eyes. My right eye is already in advance state according to my optha as diagnosed last March 21, 2019. My optic nerve is almost all bl;ack with just a few space in pink. Despite this however, I have not noticed any limitations in my right eye except some symptoms of blurred vision occassionally before March 21, 2019. After using my eye drops for at least 3 months., I do not anymore experience any symptoms. I also use Tears Again whenever I feel like doing it. My peripheral vision in my right eye has no deteriorated despite its advanced state.. By the way, mine is low pressure glaucoma. I also walk for 30 minutes and expose myself to a little sunshine everyday. Hope this helps.

best regards, Teody

• Posted

So Teody

On your visual field test your have no vision loss in either eye?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.