53 and have COPD

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone have severe depression from lack of energy?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am 75 have Copd caused by heavy smoking many years ago . Stopped smoking over 30 years ago , have lack of energy , but not depressed . Try to enjoy life as best as I can and do anything I can to try to  improve my condition .
  • Posted

HI there! Don't let yourself get depressed. Depression in itself can cause fatigue. I have tried to stay as active as possible. There is just so much to learn. I just started a COPD rehab programe that consists of education, excersize, and being with people in the same boat. You can't sit around. You need to keep moving to the best of your ability. I love this programe. Exercise is soooooo important to build your muscles so the oxygen does not have to to your muscles. I have learned how to do pursed lip breathing that brings your oxygen levels up. Onky gone twice but I can't wait to go again on Thursday. It teaches you all the things you need to know that our Doctors don't have the time to explain the benefits. Ask your Doctor about it. I find I have more energy after I have worked out to exercises designed to enhance COPD. Before I enrolled in this programe I would walk around our large back yard. Would stop and do pursed lip breathing and stop then continue on.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Unfortunately, yes.  There are sooooo many unanswered questions, which I personally feel depressing.  We tell people what we have and they look at us as if I told you so, I told you so, don't you remember me telling you you were going to get something from smoking all those years.  Now what's it called?  COP ?.  Plus, prednisone seems to be the first prescribed medication and that can screw up everything, especially long term (I've been on them for over 20 years, anywhere from 10 mg/day to 60/day.  

As for as the lack of energy, they make some people sleepy but others hyperactive.  Just part of the steroid effects in my opinion.

• Posted

morning  i  cant  say  i  suffer  from depression.    i  do  get  tired  easy.   just  wondering  if  youve  spoken  to your  doctor  about  this.      im  sure  there will  be  someone  out  there   with the  same  problem  as  you ,  and  hopefully   will  be  in touch  with  you  soon.    take   care  all  the  best  julie   xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Copd does get you down just when you think you are getting somewhere it knocks you right back down but you just need to lern to live with it as it's not going anywhere like david says try to enjoy life & do everything you can do to try improve your condition as fighting it will give you the push you need to lift yourself up forget about letting the doc put you on pills positive thinking will work better then any pills can good luck 

• Posted

I'm 55 years old and was diagnosed wit A1AD, inherited emphysema in November of last year I was a snowboarder going sometimes up to 50 times a year. now I can't even walk to the lift without losing my breath yes I am depressed.

• Posted

Morning   im  so  sorry  about  your  illness.   it  must  be  a  real  kick  in  the  mouth  for  you.     its so  not  fair   when  you  were  such  a  obviously  healthy  person.     hope  you  can focus  on something   to  stop  the  depression  sinking   in.    love  and   best  wishes   julie   xxxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Chat with your doctor gaharr, I doubt if the severe depression is the result of just lack of energy.

BLF helpline or the help line of the lung foundation in the country you are living can advise you further.  Ask them also about breathe easy groups (or better breathers groups) in your area.

Exhaustion and depression on initial diagnosis of COPD is quite common.  A PR course and contact with breathe easy groups or better breathers may be a good option for you.

Ask your doc for a referral to a pulmonary rehabilitation course.  BLF or respective lung foundation will have more details on important information on what things help on their website.

Best wishes V

• Posted

Hi I am 51, had bloods done dr said low oxygyn levels sent me for spiro with the nurse, I blew 78 1st time then 102 after my inhaler, Nurse said I am 78 and mild copd, dr today said i don't have copd but she was reading the after inhaler result. I told her nurse had said I had mild copd and was 78%, dr said she will see id nurse wrote it somewere else, now I don't know what to think.  Dr's get me depressed as well as my conditions and fatigue is horrendous for me, i am so baffled now how can one say i have it and another say i havent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.