53 yo seeking guidance.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi. I'm 53 and recently diagnosed with a cataract in my right eye. The left lens is clear. I just stumbled into this forum which is a wealth of knowledge. I've got a follow-up appointment in a couple days, so I'm trying to quickly get up to speed on a few things. Current prescription: OD sph -3, cyl -1.25, axis 135. OS -3, -0.25, 150. I'm trying to think through the best options. I currently wear glasses; contacts years back gave me some dry eye issues, but I haven't tried them in many years. I'd like to reduce dependence on glasses as much as I can. But since I'm only having one eye done, it sounds like that's not too likely. I work with computers every day, so good vision in that range is important. I already deal with some halos at night.

Can someone give me some starting points in what I should be considering for a lens option? Has anyone combined cataract surgery in one eye with Lasik in the other?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on my scenario.

RichB

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Rich,

Personally, I'd ask to have a consultation with a cataract person in the practice who is an expert on lens options. I did that and it helped a ton. Generally insurance only covers monofocal lens (distance or near). The premium lens are anywhere from $2500 and up out of pocket. The typical "multivocal" lenses often create glare or halos. Additionally there can be issues with mid-distance. I have a friend who got them, and she is fine for distance and near, but needs correction for mid distance (computer) and that is what she does most of the days. I chose symfony extended death of focus lenses. They were approved for use in USA a month or two prior to my surgery. You can google

• Posted

to find out the specific statistics on what percentage of people are corrected through all ranges. Generally near is the distance with issues. I has them make me a tiny bit nearsighted in my second eye so I only need readers for artwork, really fine work etc.

You can do one eye distance, one eye near, but generally it is better to trial that as not everyone tolerates that. It also decreases your depth perception.

Also ask if you have latticing, which can make you at higher risk of retina detachment, especially as you are having a cataract surgery younger, which increased your risk of retina detachment.

• Posted

Thank you. I'll definitely be researching those!

• Posted

If you get Lasik to correct your distance vision in your left eye, you're going to need reading glasses for that eye and probably also need glasses for the computer for that eye. I have non-toric monofocals set for distance and can see fine without glasses almost all the time, including the computer, driving and most reading of close up material unless it's extremely tiny print or if I want to read for a long time without my eyes getting tired.

• Posted

You can also consider getting a Symfony lens in your right eye and wear a contact lens for distance in your left eye, but some people can't read without glasses with Symfony lenses and even if you could, I'm not sure if they can replicate the amount of nearsightedness in someone with natural myopia. Most people who get non-toric monofocals set for distance have the same result as I had, so you might want to save the extra expense of a Symfony lens and just get that instead.

• Posted

Also, some people with non-toric monofocals for distance don't ever need glasses, even for reading, but of course you can't count on having that result.

• Posted

And I'm not talking about monovision. I don't have monovision, not even mini-monovision. I was able to read fine without glasses with my first operated eye alone by the time I had my second eye done 6 weeks later. I actually see slightly better at all distances without glasses with my first eye than my second eye, but I can still read with my second eye alone when I close my first eye. With my first eye done, I was able to drive myself to my doctor appointment the day after surgery, seeing perfectly fine without glasses (20/20), except my reading vision got better over the 6 weeks between surgeries.

• Posted

Hi Rich,

Sounds like your biggest dilemma is what combination will be the best interim compromise until eye #2 gets a symptomatic cataract (my surgeon says it’s virtually inevitable - I’ve also only needed one eye done so far). Do you currently remove your glasses to read?  How is it to read or see your cell phone with only the left eye?  

Good you are doing some research ahead of time.  I found the MDs were not helpful in selecting  targets; they often just ask if you want to see near or far, or try to oversell premium lenses. Very frustrating.

• Posted

Exactly. Although I'd never hope for a cataract in my left, in some ways it would simplify things from me. As is, they can't make too large of a correction in my right eye - so I'm pretty much assured of needing corrective lens all the time. My left lens is perfectly clear now.

My near vision is for normal book reading, but I'm to the point of using progressives for most of my work screens' distances. One of my thoughts was that I might be able work it so that distance vision would be fine without glasses (assuming lasik on left) and then just assume that I'd have them for reading. I am a heavy reader, so I'm not sure about that compromise yet...

I'm not as concerned about cost as much as finding the option that might serve me best over the next 30 years. And as you noted, my left may develop one as well. Appreciate the thoughts!

• Posted

Don't get it done unless you really have to have it done. Wait and make a very educated decision

• Posted

Hi RichBR - I had both eyes done at 53 last summer 6 weeks apart due to cataracts.  It is good you are doing your research now.  There are compromises no matter which lens you choose.  I live in Canada so my surgery was covered under Medicare.  I paid the added fee for Symfony lenses at $900 an eye.   

I too work a lot with computers and didn’t need any readers at the time and couldn’t fathom losing that ability after cataract surgery.  All accommodation is lost after surgery.

I have good all round vision and don’t need glasses at all.  I realize that is not the case for everyone.  I myself thought I would need readers more but as it turns out see well at 11 inches to distance with both eyes at plano.  I do have to put up with night vision issues.  Due to lens design see multiple concentric circles around certain lights.  I also had glare and starbursts but that has subsided.  With time those 2 issues diminish but the concentric circles are not likely to go away.

If you decide to get lasik done on good eye be aware it makes calculating power for IOL when you you need cataract surgery.  Even when they have your pre-lasik eye measurements.  I do know in countries that have national health system that cover cataract surgery if there is too great a difference between your eyes they will cover the other surgery even without presence of a cataract.  

Wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thanks. Night vision is a concern because I do have a decent amount of halos now. I certainly don't want to make that worse.

• Posted

Are halos bad now due to cataract?   My cataracts made halos and glare worse.  I would say night vision is better now than when I had cataracts.
    • Posted

I'm honestly not sure. I've had minor issues with night vision for years, but the cataract seems fairly recent - it developed into an issue within the last couple of years between eye exams.

• Posted

I started noticing I couldn’t read license plate in front of me stopped at a red light.  Road signs were problematic too. On highways couldn’t read them till they were close and couldn’t read the names of streets either - more noticeable when travelling in unfamiliar places.  At night it was notably worse - glare from oncoming traffic and my reduced contrast sensitivity mad driving difficult. Last summer couldn’t read the jersey numbers watching my daughter’s soccer team.  Had a bit of double vision happening too. Really thought I just needed stronger glasses.  Waited 6 months for my new health plan year to see optometrist.   When she said my vision couldn’t be corrected anymore it came as a shock.   

I  am sure it must be same for you.  Without their being a perfect clear solution it is normal to go back and forth with this decision between lens type and selecting right target for yourself.  And even once you select that there are variables which cannot be controlled and you end up being .25 either way from the target.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.