54 and newly diagnosed with os hands and feet

Posted , 9 users are following.

The pain in Palm of hands below fingers can be excruciating . It feels really inflammed for awhile so upsetting . Anyone else had this. How do I cope . Surely I havnt got to suffer like this . Paracetamol no use can't take ibrofenal . Doc prescribed neurontin but still geting pain 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am told that Felixeq is good but very expensive.Lloyds are selling at £16.00 a tube.Don't know whether to try it.
    • Posted

I did a lot of reading up about Flexiseq when I first heard about it - the logic sounded good but the reviews didn't live up to the claims by the manufacturers and when I asked my GP about the product and whether the process by which it is stated to work, he said he couldn't comment on the product itself but the technical claims were total rubbish.  Jury's out on that one.  It's too expensive for me to just waste money on it.  Re hormone replacement therapy - there are lots of things HRT will help with but OA is not one of them.  Whilst some of the cause of certain types of OA may well be due to changes in hormone levels (eg thumbs joints in women), by the time we have it, replacing oestrogen won't have any effect and it has many other risk factors which should be carefully considered before jumping in feet first.  Whilst I was on HRT I felt great and things like skin, hair, energy levels etc were all improved but there are so many other side effects, on balance it wasn't good to continue long term. My consultant explained that my OA is due to degradation of the cartilage in the joints and at present nobody has discovered a way to regenerate this.  Research goes on but it's a long way off before effective new cartilage can be created in an affected joint.  Minimising wear on the joint, ie by losing weight, eating healthily, gentle exercise etc., are good starting points, joint replacement surgery in some cases is a possibility but in the end it's down to managing the pain and restricted mobility as best we can. 
  • Posted

Hi Thelma,

I am from Australia. I used to take 6 (1500mg) of fish tablets a day which I thought worked for me. After so many years I decided to look for some alternate treatment as it wasn't working as well as it used to. I am now taking New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel. They are 500mg capsules and I take 3 a day and my hands and fingers are the best they have ever been. The swelling is down and I can bend my fingers the best I have done for years. I bought these capsules from our local discount chemist. I recommend them to anyone to try.

Sandra

Australia 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.