54 years old great shape P M R.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I work out about 4 days a week. Great shape. Trying to come from 10mg prednisone. But afraid of gaint cell. This is so new to me !!only 3month. Been to a few doctors. May have found one a like.  TheyLl tell me diet does not matter.  Which I don't believe.   I had to give up kick boxing but still spinning. !!! Mj

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Mjjollywood, I believe that diet does matter. Have two doctors one does one does not. I try to eat food that does not cause inflammation and take supplements that fight inflammation. I try to stay active walking 7 days a week, goal 15K steps a day. Good luck on your journey, I try and keep a smile on my face, think that helps also. 🙂

• Posted

pred, activity / exercise, diet, state of mind.

I don't particularly know what a pmr friendly diet looks like but I can't imagine diet not making a difference.

Probably more in response to "pred hunger" than diet which reduces effect of pmr I eat less carbs and manage to keep weight reasonably stable. If it helps the pmr that's nice but I can't be certain.

• Posted

Hi mjjollywo - I have going going almost gone GCA but not PMR. Diagnosed in October 2016. Now prednisone is reducing 1mg per month (currently on 7mg). Feeling so much better. The initial migraine-like headaches disappeared as soon as steroid was started. None since. No pain anywhere else. Diet? Doctors (GP and hospital rheumatologist) said eat what you like. But include lots of fibre, fruit and drink milk. Put on a tonne of weight: they said appetite increase is a side-effect, it will reduce in time. I play petanque three times a week. Do not go for walks much as I live in the hills in Auckland (NZ) and it's either crawling uphill or racing downhill. 

Have full confidence in the management, treatment of my doctors. They have been spot on.

Keep well. And smiling.

• Posted

oops sorry I got your name wrong!!
  • Posted

I have been eating an anti inflammation diet for the past  6 weeks.That means no dairy, no animals beef or poultry, no gluten.  Lots of olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, I am allowed to eat lots of non-farmed fish (difficult to find and expensive) few eggs, some fruit and as much veg as I want.  No sugar.  

Omega 3 supplements daily

Result after 6 weeks..... energy levels have soared..... I can drive inter city to work, do physical work for several hours, drive back and still be able to talk.....   

Pain levels are just the same in my shoulder and arms.... which doesn't bother me while I am active and working but wake s me at night several times and spoils my sleep.

Mood - much improved....  outlook more positive

so, I am sticking with the anti inflammation diet and have begun tapering g from 9 mg to 8 mg on alternating days and will continue that way for at least a month to see if the pain will lessen.

i am convinced that diet plays an important role in this journey.  Oh.. and I actually lost a couple of kilos too.

• Posted

I think diet is very important, we are what we eat .. lots of interest and work being done lately on the gut and the importance of the microbiome and its effect on the immune system.  What seems to suit me is high fibre, low carb meaning loads of veg, full fat milk and yogurt (good coating for stomach when taking pred) fish, olive oil,eggs, limited fruit (sugar content) very little meat (although a lamb roast is my downfall about once a month but what is life without a little bit of what you fancy..) And drinking plenty of water throughout the day. And a square or two of dark (85%) chocolate.   I've lost a few kilos too, so something's going right.

You sound very active, just take any reductions in pred quite slowly and build in a bit of rest time when tapering - makes a difference if you have confidence in your doctor, but question anything you don't understand or want help with.  Best of luck.

• Posted

So nice to hear someone else interested in the microbiome.  I'm really lucky because at our local farmera market I can get many different kinds of fermented vegetables as well as fermented tea with the name beginning with k which seems to get caught in the filter.  I also have heard that kefir is very good, even better than yoghurt in some ways, because it contains many different strains of beneficial bacteria.

• Posted

So nice to hear someone else interested in the gut flora.  I'm really lucky because at our local farmers market I can get many different kinds of fermented vegetables.  Apparently the two drinks with names beginning with eleventh letter of the alphabet are disapproved of by the filter.

• Posted

lol Yep, got it! (counting on my fingers...) I'm a recent convert to fermented Ks, love the flavour and it makes sense so I make my own now. 

• Posted

Given what they currently have been allowing through I'm just gobsmacked!!!!

I must say - it is REALLY putting me off continuing to use this forum.

• Posted

i hadn't thought of fermented veg but it makes sense.... maybe I will start making my own.... i haven't seen them on sale

• Posted

Kefir is very easy to make, once you find a source of the starter grains .. I went to a local health food shop for a 'how to' workshop and they gave us each a small portion to get us going.  They grow quickly so I pass some on to interested friends and family.  At present I buy jars of Kimchi from local shop and plan to have a go with this, too.

• Posted

I'm rather lazy when it comes to food prep, so I'm really happy I can buy these things.  You can make kefir and the other drink beginning with k yourself as well.  I used to make yoghurt years ago, but ....

• Posted

Eileen, I think it's the filter, not the moderator!  And yesterday I did a little spot checking of all the ten and eleven day old posts, and decided I'd probably read through them all and marked them all as "read" so I can start over!

• Posted

I doubt you get notifications of a couple of forums that I do - and there have been a couple of appalling let-throughs recently. Blatant advertising and all someone had done was remove the link. There have been some changes recently - not just the colour scheme - and they have NOT done the site any favours. It was reliable - less so now IMHO.
    • Posted

Ah, ok, didn't know that.  Just thinking about my particular post.

• Posted

Well, the moderator does need to have the occasional weekend off!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.