57 male with very sore penis

Posted , 3 users are following.

so one week ago I go to my doctor because under my foreskin is painful and red. She says probably balanitis (rather disconcerting when google to find that is bad hygiene apparently). She prescribes steroid/antibiotic cream which was wonderful I got a good pain free nights sleep for first time in three days. Two more pain free days follow, then pain returns. Then ulcers appear all over tip of penis inside foreskin.  Back to doctor pronto! Different doctor this time who took swabs and recommended visit to Sexual Health Clinic. I have only ever had sex with one woman in my whole life, have been married since 21 (36 years) and 99.9% sure she has also been faithful. So health clinic doctor asks does wife get cold sores?  Yes.  Has she performed oral sex lately? Yes. So odds are in favour of herpes until test results come back.  But why now after 36 years?!! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. But from what I have read you can have herpes and not know you do. That's hard for me to understand.I am still learning about it. It scares me.I still have a few good years left. I just don't understand why he didn't tell me and then get mad at me!!!!! Life goes on one way or another .

• Posted

The second doctor didn't even mention herpes (to be honest I thought the steroid cream had caused the ulcers) but said look lets rule out that 0.1% about your wife and check for STD. So trusting as I am it did make me think well there is a chance I suppose, and I did wonder what kind of conversation I was going to have with my wife if it was STD (I wasn't thinking herpes because the word hadn't been mentioned yet). And just those thoughts set off all kind of feelings so as a bloke I perhaps can understand your partners irrational behaviour, it's just we are quite one dimensional compared to women. 

• Posted

That's what I don't understand all he had to do was talk to me. But it is over and done now. I am in your shoes to if I meet a guy I have to be up front with him and tell him if he walks so be it .I am scared

• Posted

The herpes virus is rather erratic. It doesn't always shed, and even when it does, the amount of virus can vary and it takes a certain viral load to transmit, etc. I guess you must have been lucky all of these years! In fact, I'm amazed you didn't already unknowingly acquire it orally (HSV1 is asymptomatic in many), which in theory should spare you from getting it genitally. As I like to say, herpes transmission is really a lot like Russian roulette, but with much better odds until everything is lined up.

• Posted

ive never had a cold sore, my wife gets one maybe once a year but that's as far as it went. The only thing I can think of looking back I do remember getting a slight fever feeling now and then when I was younger for no apparent reason (very similar feeling to one I got last week just before the pain started). Perhaps that was herpes? Anyway so far we making light of it 

• Posted

Did your lower back hurt ??? I am not sure if that is one of the simple or not. Mine did I started taking my meds and it went away. My Doctor had told me I could take meds when I felt outbreak starting but I am going to take it every day Valtrex is what I am taking

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.