5cm cyst in abdomen...panicking while waiting for CT scan

Posted , 5 users are following.

After experiencing pain across my right side on off for a few weeks I had an ultrasound scan which showed a 5cm cyst 'fluid filled, somewhere in the right flank'. As I had been feeling better before the scan I was so shocked! I'm waiting for for my urgent CT scan appointment but in the meantime completely panicking! I'm so scared it'll get infected or burst before anything can be done about it. I was hoping for some reassurance from the doctor when I went for my ultrasound results, but he wouldn't tell me anything at all until the CT scan. He also found that i have a low grade fever, he didn't seem concerned but that has just peaked my anxiety and made me convinced that as I'm in pain as well i must have an infection!!! Has anyone experienced any cysts like this? I know you shouldn't google but even when i do i only find ovarian cysts which I'm pretty sure this isn't. Any experiences appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Doctors should do everything to reassure you! Go back to your doctor and push for a full explanation of your ultrasound and emphasise how worried you are. If your doctor won't help, see someone else.

• Posted

Thanks. The pain is worse than ever and seems to have localised to under and just below my rib cage. I went to see another doctor due to the pain increase and he at least seemed to recognise that this is worrying me, although the findings of the ultrasound are just not clear enough for any real information or reassurance. He made me feel better briefly although I'm in so much pain now it's all i can think about and I'm really scared again!

• Posted

Ask for your CT to be brought forward or go to ER/A&E since your pain is worsening.

• Posted

Well I'll tell u this, one of my roommates in college in 2013 was having some stomach pain and went to Dr and had a scan like you, and found out she had an 11 lb cyst in her stomach... I kid u not, 11 lbs haha. Such a crazy story... after it was removed she looked noticeably thinner and less bloated. But my point of the story being that many odd things pop up in our bodies alllll the time and it doesn't always mean anything sinister when you have an odd occurence. She had her cyst removed and is totally fine now! Just try to relax a bit, there's no point in worrying when u don't know if there's anything to even worry about yet! =) I'm sure everything will be okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.