5cm hiatus hernia

Posted , 8 users are following.

Need advice whether this is large and needs surgery.I am getting a lot of throat problems with the acid reflux.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, could well be controlled by a PPI such as Lansaprazole. Ask your doc just be certain there is nothing else!
  • Posted

I agree with GRWriter. Try meds first, then if your symptoms remain unbearable, explore surgery
    • Posted

Good piece of advise. But how long does it take for one to feel a change in symptoms when taking PPIs?

I have been on them for 2 weeks now but I still get chest pain. Not as bad as before but not a 100% back to my normal self either.

• Posted

PPIs work quite quickly - they are proton pump inhibitors - Google this for full explanation. Chest pains can come from a number of sources, many of them not serious. But, it takes a doctor to know for sure. He may decide on a gastroscopy to be certain about a diagnosis.
    • Posted

I have had a gastroscopy and that is how i found out that i have got a 5cm hernis.I don't get any back,chest or neck pain.I am constantly clearing my throat like there is something stuck and my voice is very hoarse.There is a swelling above my stomach which i thought was a hernia but i have read that a hiatus hernia doesn't cause swelling.I am still not sure if 5cm is a concern.

• Posted

Sounds like you have some reflux. Hopefully it can be taken care of with meds such as proton pump inhibitors. I wouldn't consider surgery unless your symptoms are unbearable and not resolved with meds.

Good luck

• Edited

I too have a 5cm hiatus hernia and my life is a misery.  I have had every test known to man and the hospital just discharged me saying take this medication and get on with the suffering because we cant do anything for you.

I take 4 different lots of pills and even though they help a little they don't control it but since no one listens to me I just try to get on with it the best way I can.

I swell every night, struggle to breathe when it is bad, get pain every single day and some nights I just curl up in a ball and want to cry.  I have come to the conclusion that this is how my life is going to be now which at 44 is pretty sad!

I hope you get sorted and that the hospitals help you a lot more than they have helped me.

• Posted

I can relate to all that youve described and have had many trips to A@E

ive experienced so much pain in the past 6 months i have chronic fatigue as i cant eat. severe chest and back pain shortness of breath . i cant even work now as i have no energy. do you get dizzy or fatigued? the stress of it is all is debilitating.

im finally seeing consultant for surgery all medications dont work

surgery is the only way forward .

please dont live in misery. i feel this kind of ilness is brushed aside and not taken seriously on every level.

hope your life improves

• Posted

I too am 44 hun and feel exactly like you do,

I'm crying constantly because I don't want my life like this

2 years ago I had an endoscopy done and they found a 4cm, I tried every ppi meds none worked, had another endoscopy done and they said it's gone from 4cm to 7cm

And said if it's affecting my life I'll need surgery,

And since then I've been waiting with symptoms getting worse,

My stomach is so swollen and the pain is unbearable, I feel its not affecting my breathing,

This is ruining my life, my surgeon was meant to ring me on Friday (this was the only thing keeping me sane as at least I'd know when surgery would be), I waited all day no phone call, my other half rang and they said he hasn't done any calls and that they would get back to me,

I felt so low, I'm constantly in bed no energy, worrying what I'm eating, my stomach seems to be expanding by the day,

AnE are not helpful either in fact they were sarcastic saying "what u want me to do reflux surgery now"!!

I feel for you,

If mine went from 4cm to 7cm in 6 months I'd hate to think of the damage its done in the last 14 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.