5mg up to 10mg Lexapro

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on 5mg of lexapro for anxiety and depression two weeks, i started to feel better but after a week or so i felt like i was back at square one. Yesterday i went from 5mg to 10mg and i feel so sick. My side effects from the 5mg wore off so im not sure if there coming back or its all in my head. Is the nausea and stomach problems the medication or am i getting sick?

I dont really feel like im getting better anymore, i just want all the bad stuff to go away so i can enjoy life. Please let me know whether or not there side effects and if so when theyll go away. Thanks Rhaya.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

May be side effects although it is difficult to say if you are an Anxiety Sufferer.

Personally it sounds like Anxiety, you need to give your medications time to work fully say at least two weeks

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, today will be my third week on the medication and the second day with 10mg. I just want resurrence on whether my upset stomach is due to the medication. Thanks
  • Posted

GI problems and sexual adverse effects are common with SSRIs, which Lexapro is one.  My side effects started to ease off after about 3 weeks at 5 mg of Lexapro and I dread increasing it to 10mg but those side effects should ease off as my body gets used to it.
    • Posted

Did your side effects get worse when you increased? I was on 5mg for 2.5 weeks before the side effects eased and now that ive upped my dose i think there coming back again. Did that happen to you?
  • Posted

Hello Rhaya,

I found that the 5mg dose was not strong enough when I broke down and cried at work for a straight hour on Monday.  I did up the dose to 10mg, the dose set by my GP, and she added Atarax 25mg tablets twice a day to deal with the anxiety, but I will alternate between the 5mg and 10mg doses to get my body used to it.  I am already taking Losec 40mg for GERD so I am not experiencing the GI side effects but I am having the sexual dysfunction side effects.   Spousal relations will have to be scheduled for days/nights before the 10mg dose or the results will be rather disappointing.

I would try to stay on Lexapro for at least 2 months since it may take that long to haave full effect and have the side effects subside.   If that doesn't work then your PC may change your medication.  Each similar medication reacts differently to each person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.