5mg warfarin pills

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've recently noticed that while I was taking the 5mg pink warfarin pills I started to break out in small dry skin lesions. As time went on they began to multiply. As a result I could make up my dosage by using the 3 and 1 mg pills and over a couple of days the lesions went totally. Does anyone know if there is something in the 5mg pills or has suffered these same lesions?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Seems like you may be having an allergic reaction to the pink dye in the 5mg tablets; this is not unknown, I have turned up various journal articles mentioning it. In one article, the patient in question came out in a rash when taking the 5mg. tablets, but the rash disappeared when he took half a 10mg. tablet instead. So, if you have no problems with taking the 3mg. and 1mg. tablets instead, sounds like the best idea!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Lucy. It just seemed strange as this is the second time I have been on warfarin. The first time I took 1, 3, and 5 mg tablets without any issues at all but this second time I have had this problem.

Someone else I know who's on warfarin said there is a serious skin problem that can occur to do with skin necrosis or destruction but my problem was definately the 5mg tablets as they haven't re-appeared since i have stopped taking them.

• Posted

I take theĀ 5mg pink warfarin pills and I have not had any reactions. The only thing other than the amount of warferin is the dye to make the color. I would talk to my pharmacist about this. They are more knowledgeable about the ingredients than a doctor. I hope you figure this out soon and everything will be OK.
  • Posted

Hi there,

you could always make up your 5mg using the other colours, I know it's more tablets but even so... I used to have to take 17mg a day and one day actually took 17 x 1mg as I had run out of the others - wasn't very nice.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.

• Posted

Hi Susan, thanks for your reply. Since I had issues with the pink 5mg tablets I have been making up my dosage with the 1 and 3 mg tablets without any problems at all. Do you know if you can get 5mg warfarin tablets without the pink colouring?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.