5months post sacrocolporectopexy update

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies, i thought I'd write an update as I'm now 5 months post Op and have finally had my post Op check up! My colorectal surgeon seems happy with results so far. The external rectocele is holding up well and is no longer visible ,but i still have a small internal prolapse which is not causing a problem at present (if it does i can have surgery to fix it at a later date).I have been referred back to a Urogynae as it seems i still have a visible cystocele...i had hoped this would have been better after surgery but unfortunately not, so i still have some minor urinary leak issues. I do have some nippy/sore areas inside but am hoping when i see pelvic physio next month i will get some advice. It seems i have developed a rectal fissure (tear) which is why BMs are still painful so i have got some prescription cream to use (which helps some) and i continue to use laxido daily to help motility.

My surgeon said i should be back to "normal" living now without fear of recurring / damaging prolapses/repairs.....i have to disagree having had so many previous failed repairs, so i will continue to avoid heavy lifting/straining etc for good. I still feel that surgery recovery times are very much underestimated by some professionals. Take good care ladies xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It sounds a bit like me two years ago and it took me a year to feel anything like normal-i still had a cystocele and have just six weeks ago had that done too so still recovering. I agree with you that they underestimate recovery time and it knocks you for six! The pelvic exercises made me feel nauseous and I had to force myself to do them. They also made me come off HRT for six weeks so on top of all the other stuff I had to cope with hot flushes! I hope it goes well for you soon

• Posted

Hi Angela, thanks for your reply. I too use HRT in pessary form and my GP suggested last week that i use it daily for a few months (previously advised to use twice a week only ) but i have been sore and dry inside since Op, and i am pretty uncomfortable down below. Fingers crossed that will soon help having the extra HRT.I feel for you re hot flushes...not pleasant on top of everything else during recovery. Has your recent repair been very painful? Hope you don't mind me asking...im really not looking forward to any more surgery especially as my December Op was rather complex! I had hoped my last surgery had fixed everything .

Oh the joys of being a woman !! Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Eniarrol,

Completely agree with you on recovery times; anyone who has not been through this surgery themselves have no idea just how painfull it can be or how long it actually takes for tissue to recover, they just completely fail ti take into account that as we try to become mobile again our body tissue is struggling to repair itself while coping with the weight of our pelvic organs and thats not always good especially for those of us who are older and have undergone the menopause or those who genetically have low collagen levels which makes it all the more difficult to get back to some kind of normality.

• Posted

Hi Phyl and thanks for your reply. Yes i agree recovery seems tougher the older we get and tissues dont heal so quickly, especially with diminished collagen ( what a pity we cant buy that over the counter!!).The mind is willing but the body not so much!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.