5th metacarpal fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having left neck of 5th metacarpal fracture since 6 weeks ago and was on ulnar gutter splint for 6 weeks. Last week I went for follow up and the doctor told me that the fracture is clinically united as there was no swelling and pain on palpation. But fracture line was still there. The doctor will arrange me for physiotherapy another 3 weeks. Meanwhile, he asked me to move my hands at home. While doing so, I noticed that my little finger is not straight and scissoring to the ring finger when I make a fist. Is it because of the stiffness that i have at left 5th metacarpophalangeal joint or not? Do i need a surgery for this? I am left hand dominant.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Slow and steady.  Stay positive.  When do you start PT?  Are you squeezing or trying to squeeze a tennis ball at home?  Gentle squeezes or squeezing rolled up socks?  Are you icing?  What happens when you guide the finger to prevent scissoring?  Guide gently do not force anything.  These are great questions in your post.  Ring the doctor and ask or hold on until you see the PT.    PS I am dealing with a (spiral) fractured 4th metacarpal at the moment - four weeks out of the injury.  Pain in the 4th MCP joint which I assume is from the injury, i.e., twisted until the bone snapped thanks to an impatient 5-year-old student.  No scissoring of the fingers but I am on restrictions for lifting, i.e., nothing greater than 15 lbs and that is with the hand/finger brace/splint on.  Slow and steady.  WE will make it! 

• Posted

Hello henpen1980. Thanks for your response.

I will start PT next week. I never try squeezing tennis ball at home. Thanks for your suggestions. I can seem to prevent the scissoring even if i guide it. I have been trying to move my little finger slowly and the stiffness has been reduced. but my 5th metacarrpophalangeal joint still stiff. maybe i will wait for the physiotherapy.

we can do this smile

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.