5th metatarsal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke my 5th metatarsal 5 week's ago and went to a&e had a xray sent home in arecast boot no weight bearing and come back in 6 week's and it would take 6 to 12 weeks to heal .wondering if this is long time without checking progress. I am 62 year's not managing the cruches and can't sleep with aircast boot as I have to keep it on at night

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Catherine!  I think the amount of time your foot has to be in a cast is standard.  I didn't have an aircast -- I had a regular old fashioned plaster cast and was in that for 6 weeks!  Let me tell you it wasn't fun!  Couldn't get the thing wet, so had to stick my leg outside the shower or take baths with my foot elevated outside the tub.  Also, I had 3 pairs of pants that could fit over the cast itself (two being sweatpants).  Healing time is different for everybody clearly depending on your age and health regimens and generally how active you are.  I'm about to turn 50 and I'm in good physical shape, but I'm not much of an athelete.  I live in NY though and do lots of walking and do ride bike on occasion.  However, I had a pretty bad smoking habit.  Quit cold turkey 6 weeks ago!

Anyhow, it's been 3 months since I fractured my 5th metatursal bone.  In two days I get x-ray'd and hoping I'm finally able to start weight bear.  

If you are feeling discomfort in the cast you need to just go to your doctor and do something about it.  Generally though, the 6 weeks in a cast is standard.  Whenever I've had issues with anything I've contacted my doctor or gone to see him.  The initial break though is just casting and making sure everything is in the right place and waiting at least that 6 week period.  This was my experience.  Although, I was in a cast for 6 weeks and have been out of a cast not putting weight on my foot for 8.  I probably could have stayed in a cast a little longer and it may have sped up my healing time.  I've heard an aircast gets better healing results than a regular old fashioned cast though, so good luck to you!

Sending out healing vibes!

• Posted

I know what you mean about jeans I'm lucky I have retired taleer living beside me and he took some of my jeans and put a long opened ended zip .from wast band down the length of the leg which means I can wear my jeans the zip goes down when you put the jeans on.I hope news is good on your next Dr. Visit. Best of luck
    • Posted

Doug hope everything goes well for you tomorrow and you are out shopping for shoes .
  • Posted

Hubby thought I was wrong about my toe, did get an xrau. Surprise! It is fractured. Bind up, wear boot, wait two weeks get another xray. Youch, six weeks a long time, just hope no surgery. I am older so bones (and old grey mare) ain't what they used to be. Abused my feet, skydiving, bungee jumping, rafting and rides in Bigfoot, guess my adrenaline junkieness come back to haunt. Sympathy to you, know it is a bitch
    • Posted

I fell and broke my foot while out walking my dog.5 weeks ago. My foot was put in airboot boot that day and I was told to come back in 6 week's which will be next Monday I hate the boot and the cruches as I'm 62 year's and not great on them I can't put any weight on the foot. Hope your foot is better shortly as you sound as very active person and sitting round would be very hard.
  • Posted

I am so jealous reading about the people who have 6-12 weeks to heal... Lol I did mine over 11 months ago and it's still showing up faintly in X-rays and still giving me a lot of pain... I had my cast on for about 5 weeks and had X-rays pretty much fortnightly from that point for a while... And then went a while without one and had 1 a few weeks back n it's still there!! Everyone and their situation is different 😊
    • Posted

I am at week 8 now still have air boot on night and day non weight bearing have to go back to Dr. In 2 weeks only had 2 x-rays one day I fell second at 6 week .It was Dr.said 6 to 12 weeks if ever it mendacious sorry to hear you are so long and in pain I have no real pain in the boot just annoying hard to sleep with it on.I am back with Dr.in 2 weeks and hope to get taking boot off at night or altogether.
  • Posted

Great news got rid of my air cast boot on Thursday and told to wear shoes with 2 cruches was with phisio and exercises and walking will stimulate bone and help it set

Shoes are 2 sizes bigger than my normal .A long 13 weeks but worth it bones are nearly there

Good luck everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.