Posted , 3 users are following.
I broke my 5th metatarsal 8 weeks ago tomorrow. I live in the UK. I am almost 7 months pregnant now as I am typing this. When I went into A&E initially I was advised that my break was aligned and it would take 4-6 weeks to heal. I went on in crutches as I was unable to apply any pressure but was advised to walk on it as soon as I could in an aircast walking boot. They would have had me walking on it out of the hospital had I not been pregnant and brought my own crutches.
Just under 2 weeks later I had my first appointment at the fracture clinic. I was still in extreme pain. Being pregnant I couldn't take anything other than paracetomol and still had extreme swelling. My consultant advised that due to me being pregnant he wouldn't re x-ray me and to come back in 6 weeks time. He also advised me at this point that I should be walking on it and walking on it would make no difference to the healing process. I mentioned at this point the air cast walking boot was giving me some problems in pain and he advised to wear a supportive trainer or even an ugg boot!! This seemed utterly ridiculous and he didn't give me any more advise so I ended up sticking to the air cast. He also mentioned how I had an 80% chance of healing, reducing to 50% if I smoked which I don't.
At 5 weeks I managed to slowly begin to walk on my foot after weeks of only putting extremly light pressure or nothing at all due to the swelling still being immense. By week 7, 22nd April, I was able to use it and not really experience much discomfort of the foot. There are still days when I'm in pain and it does swell but I put that down more to the boot than the foot itself.
25th April, I had my follow up appointment. My consultant had me in and out within about 5 minutes. He looked at my foot, pressed hard, noticed I was still in a small amount of pain but nothing major and informed me he wouldn't re x-ray me due to me being pregnant, he could tell it wasn't broken, he wouldn't inform as to what the type of break it was even though I asked multiple times, and that I should return in 3 months time after the baby has been born as I am likely to need a CT scan and surgery. He also advised at this point that the bone was displaced, which I had never been advised upon previously at all!! I was actually informed it was all still aligned. So every appointment I have gone to I have been informed of more and more negative information making my condition worse, and from what I can gather from my own research, I shouldn't have been weight bearing at all for quite a few weeks and should have had surgery if the bone is displaced and it's now going to be harded to fix. I heard him mention on his dictaphone as I left that I had broken it at the base although he still refuses to clarify which is ridiculous! Surely I am entitled to know my own injury!?
I am now in the process of looking to speak to someone privately which is going to cost a fortune and have found out I'm not on my husbands private healthcare as we initially believed. I would much rather have surgery now, weeks before the baby is due so I can recover than have a newborn and toddler to run around after and then have surgery.
Can I be operated on if I am pregnant? I believe I can have an epidural type surgery that numbs everything whilst being awake? Are there any negatives to this? Is it likely that this will heal without surgery? Unfortunately I have been unable to get hold of my consultants secretary to get hold of the notes to go private as of yet which is extremly frustrating. I just don't know where I stand. And I'm assuming that it's going to be harder to fix now we are 8 weeks down the line already!?
Any advice or experience is much appreciated.
0 likes, 5 replies