5th metatarsal break- shooting pains in leg.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I fractured my 5th metatarsal in left foot x6 days ago.

Wearing hard soled boot during day. Avoiding weight bear, using crutches.

My question is - I've been having some shooting sharp pains in my left leg. It is so sharp it wakes me up.

Has any one else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You didn't get a boot?

I did and was told to sleep in it.

I would assume too much movement is aggravating the break and/or the tendon and ligament damage that goes with it. I am no doctor, but I have researched alot since I broke mine since the doctorS weren't very helpful regarding what I should do.

Just remember - no weight means NO WEIGHT!

If you are only wearing that uncomfortable splint shoe, ask about a boot that stabilized your foot and ankle. Uncomfortable also but much more protective and helpful.

I have an appointment in a couple hours will be back with my nee knowldege

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have got a support boot - under the knee with hard sole, valcro straps. They said not to sleep in it. And That I can put foot down/walk on the boot but with crutches, not fully weight bear. They said to be guided by the pain and can move into a trainer if ok in x4-6 weeks.

I've kept it raised as much as possible. In bed I rest it on a pillow. I wear the boot through the day.

I've had the shooting/sharp pain 3/4 times now but first time in the night.

• Posted

Vicki , I would call your Dr or go to the er just to get the right infomation . 8 day's ago fractured my left foot displaced fifth metatarsal I don't know as of yet what kind it is . I see the ortho next Thur . I have no pain but I do feel a little pulling in the spot it's broke i guess when I lift the boot to get up to do something ,But while resting I am pain I am hoping no surgery I see what the drs say's I can tell you 2 day's after my boot felt loose i went back to the ER they said it was ok i felt my foot slipping up the boot at the heal area . I am trying to stay up beat until next week to see where i go from here .Call your dr to relieve your fears .hugs baily hope u feel better soonsmile
  • Posted

I on week 8 with 5th metatarsal I was on prescribed pain relief taken regular for first 2 weeks by week 3 I had stopped them altogether. I wear aircast boot night and day for first 6 week's. I still wear boot night and day but allowed to take boot off twice a day to exercise ankle to prevent it going stiff.boot gives good support but very uncomfortable and heavy Catherine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.