5th Metatarsal break still in air cast boot week 22!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone on my left foot one week after keyhole surgery to my right shoulder on 17th June after falling off 6 steps down my stairs seeing a bubble bee flying around my head! Ouch yeah?? Well  the A&E department did not give any advice and put me a temporary boot. Got a call next morning to say I needed a permanent cast and first appointment would be 4 days later! I had a cast for 2 weeks, suspected DVT, then fitted with ankle boot. After 6 weeks no sign of healing and fitted with another ankle boot. After 12 weeks no sign of healing and fitted with long pump up air cast boot! After 18 weeks I tripped over and damaged my foot again and spent a night in hospital as couldn't stand on it and couldn't use crutches because of shoulder surgery still healing and fitted yet again with a new boot as the muscle was deteriorating so quickly with 70% muscle gone! Week 20 and told to wear same boot for further 4 weeks as still no healing and I would need an MRI scan to see what's happening. By the time I see consultant for follow up results from MRI scan it will be 26 weeks!! I try to stand and walk to encourage muscle growth but the pain is excruciating! I am over the edge with this foot drama snd would welcome any reassuring comments as I am beginning to feel disabled and my doc has upped my Amitriptyline to 50g a day at night as I have foot pain the minute I lay down. Help!!! 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh Dear Jvirgo

Did you have sub-acromial decompression for shoulder impingement?

Has the fracture unioned or not?

• Posted

Hi Ben and thank you for reaching out to me. In repose to your question- Yes for the shoulder and no for the break which has not fused throughout all this time!!
  • Posted

Was it a dancers fracture? I had the same problem with my 5th metacarpal, whenever I walked it was pull at the fracture causing it not to heal. I had no pain at 12 weeks though, so a much shorter journey than yours 
    • Posted

Hi Russell, not a dancers fracture as fell off 6th step on staircase. I've now been told to wear this heavy boot until February 2018!!! My leg is the size of my arm and my frame is a size 8 so you can just imagine what it looks like. The pain in my foot is excruciating and swelling after I've been walking! I guess I have to ride it out and dream about wearing my heels again! Can't believe this fracture hasn't healed since June!!! Very miserable,

• Posted

Sounds miserable! Nasty circle you’ll get into with atrophy and pain!! Hope it feels better soon and you avoid another surgery!  
    • Posted

All this time and I haven't had any surgery. Apparently it could take up to two years to fully heal!! Surely some intervention should have been discussed rather than just leave this break all this time and with me in pain and I'm just to keep on pumping pain killers to manage the pain! I need a second opinion and fast as I'm worried I will now have long term issues. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.