5th metatarsal fracture - when dill severe, acute pain go ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with this today - I fell up the stairs and thought I had twisted my ankle but it turns out I broke the 5th metatarsal in my left foot. Has anyone done this ? I have a boot on and was given crutches - I find it easier to move in the boot without the crutches to be honest . Is this ok ? 

I understand it will take 6 weeks to heal - how long before the really severe excruciating pain I have right now goes away ? 

All advice appreciated ! 

Best,

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry, but I dont know anything about your problem. Sorry I cant help.

• Posted

Poor you!  You will have pain, it's natural because you're body's warning you something is wrong and to rest the injury.  Take some painkillers to help you, particularly before bedtime.  The pain will go away very soon but everyone's different so it's difficult to say exactly when.  I had a fractured 5th metatarsal (plus 3 more at the same time!) earlier this year but had a cast applied and was told not to put any weight on my foot so, in your case, I'm not totally sure what you can and cannot do.  I personally would not put any pressure on my foot for the 6 weeks.  Raise your foot as high as possible on a stool or chair as often as you can and that helps too.  Good luck, you'll get there! smile 

• Posted

I broke my MT 5 bone on my left foot a year ago ans was in plaster for 5 weeks..now a year later still have pain when I move it in different ways
  • Posted

Hi had the same injury 2 years back.to ensure union of the fracture,pay particular attention to healing process like elevated foot while in bed and all times possible to ensure swelling is at a minimum.Walking on a boot seems easier but rest and ensure injured foot gets all the healing it needs is of primary concern here.Broccoli ,calcium and bone strength related diet greatly helps in my case.wishing you a speedy recovery,do update on your progress.BTW it took 3 months for my full recovery with two casts,immobility and lots of rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.