5th Metatarsal 'Jones' Fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I have sustained an undisplaced fracture of the base of the fifth metatarsal of my left foot. X-ray confirms that this it's a Jones’ type fracture (Zone 2).  At the present time, I am immobilised in a pneumatic walker non-weight bearing. I've been told that unfortunately fractures in Zone 2 at the base of the fifth metatarsal do carry a fairly high risk of non union and delayed union and I am extremely worried about this.  My consutalnt has discussed the options of treatment which is NWB in a boot with crutches for 12 weeks and, if no union happens surgical fixation but we have to get to the 12 weeks first before he decided.

I am scheduled to go back for an X-ray in 5 weeks (I am week one after the accident) and wondered if anyone else out there has sustained the same injury or can give me any advice.  I have upped by intake of Calcium and Vit D and am staying off the foot 90% of the day and am only resting on heel when necessary to make a drink etc.

I really don't know how I am going to manage 12 weeks like this and wonder if I should consider surgery now as I have no idea whether I will get a union or non union... it's a bit like throwing a dice and not knowing your fate!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon06657, I had/have the same exact injury. I originally broke it back in January 2015 and was given the choice of surgery or a walking boot for 11 weeks with crutches. I was never told NWB so I walked in it for the 11 weeks. After the 11 weeks I needed surgery. It was non-union. I now have a two inch 5mm screw in my left foot.

Since you are NWB I suggest getting a knee scooter as it will make it a ton easier getting around plus you won't develop blisters on the palms of your hands. Also make sure you elevate it as much as possible.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Kristen.  How are you doing now and how long were you immobile after the op?  I'm unsure whether to just tell my consultant to do the surgery now or wait the 6 weeks and see what happens.  I've read so many reviews about this injury and I feel somewhat disheartened at the success rate of non surgery.
    • Posted

I was in a hard cast for a month and used a knee scooter when I could.

My only issue is that I can feel the screw and still have pain and discomfort.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I think I might have to get another appt to discuss it with my consultant.  Although the fact that you can feel the screw is disturbing. 
    • Posted

Trust me I didn't want to feel it. But I can. My surgery was April 2nd and after being in a hard cast non weight bearing for a month I had to go through physical therapy. If I could post a picture of my screw and what my foot looks like now I would.

Something to consider too is if you are in the UK versus the U.S. Which is where I am and I am sure things are done a bit different.

• Posted

Follow your sensible (and safe) orthopaedic advise. Do not try and outsmart   experience.
  • Posted

Hey all.

I had a non displaced fracture of the fifth metartarsal 3 weeks ago today while landing in a basketball game. The fracture is lower down the bone than the 'Jones' region, slightly into the skinnier part (xray attached), and was a decent fracutre, going around 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the bone. The first 2 weeks I non-weight bared (crutches with a bandage). After 2 weeks I could walk fully weight baring with minimal pain and my physio informed me I walk with the assistance of crutches, partial weight bare and that I could swim, of which I did throughout the next week with no pain. I can now at 3 weeks walk around the house full weight baring, but still use the crutches when leaving the house and am able to do some rehab (leg press and other leg weight machines). I intend to play in a tornament 4 weeks from now (7 weeks total) is this realistic, and is it normal to progress through your recovery this quickly, because i've become nervous from the online "horror" stroies (5'11 155 pounds 18y.o male)

• Posted

Hi Sharon06657, how did your revovery go? 2 weeks and 2 days ago i suffered an acute zone 2, 5th metatarsal facture that is completely broken in half, however non-displaced.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.