5th Metatarsal Nondisplaced Fracture (Neck)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all,

I’m new to this but I’m looking for some advice please? 

I’ve got a diagonal (2 inches approx) non displaced 5th metatarsal fracture (clean break) that I did on Saturday from falling down the stairs. I went into the hospital and they have given me a moon boot until tomorrow when I’ll be required to go into fracture clinic, I really cannot be off my feet for much longer, I have three young children and I work full time all over the uk doing around 600 miles per week. 

What’s the likelihood of surgery and if none, the likelihood of them allowing me to drive from tomorrow? 

I know this is a long shot but I need my car!! 

Thank you all,

Abbie x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I’m not sure if you will need surgery or not.  But they will neither ‘allow’ or ‘disallow’ you to drive.  They can’t do that.  The responsibility is yours not to drive if you are physically impaired.  If, because of your injury, you were unable to perform an emergency stop if needed, your insurance would be invalid.  And supposing the car you hit had three young children in it? Doesn’t bear thinking about . . .
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. 

I’m not in any pain. I could well perform and emergency stop if required. I can walk (hobble) and feel fine to do so. 

It’s a bit sore, but apart from that, it’s fine. I drove to the hospital 5hrs after I’d done it. If I couldn’t drive, I get it - but I can. 

Thanks,

Abbie x

• Posted

I only pointed this out as I too expected to be told when I could drive again after breaking my leg.  I even rang DVLA but they werent interested, said it was my responsibility. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Posted

Hi Abbie,  I had a 5th metatarsal non displaced fracture 2 years ago from falling on stairs and was put into a boot at the ER.  Mine was a Jones fracture close to my ankle and I saw an orthopedist a week later.  I though I was doing great in the boot and even walking some without it and without any pain.  I was shocked when the ortho doc put me in a non weight bearing cast from my toes to my knee for 4 weeks.  No walking and no driving.  I used a knee scooter to get around the house other people used crutches.  Surgery was a possibility but only if all other options did not result in healing of the bone.  I healed well and rather than going into a weight bearing cast after the 4 weeks I was put into a high boot and using a walker transitioned to full weight bearing in the boot over the next 4 weeks.  I never broke a bone before and hated every minute that I couldn't drive and get around like usual.  Since it's been 2 years now that period of time is just a faint memory.  Good luck tomorrow.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply and the info.

I hope to god this isn’t the case for me. We’ve recently moved into a barn conversion, literally in the middle of nowhere and 18 miles from friends and the kids schools and my most local place of work. I really am very alone now that I’m like this. 

We have 5 sets of stairs in this house too so getting around in anything other than my boot will be near impossible and although it’s only been 4 days, I’m already feeling quite low and getting ‘cabin fever’ - I need my life back!!

I know things could be worse but I think I’m just clutching at straws, hoping they’ll say it’s fine tomorrow and looking for someone to say so on here, which I know isn’t possible.

I know in my heart that it’s probably not going to be that simple but fingers crossed. 

Thank you again for your message x

• Posted

The bottom line is that you will be fine!  Probably not tomorrow, but tomorrow you will learn what's in store for you.  You will learn how helpful your little ones can be as you give them jobs to do.  And you will learn who are your true friends.  Feeling low and really low is totally normal.  Remember that you will get your life back just never as quickly as we all have wanted.  Boy, 5 sets of stairs.  You may have to do the stairs on your butt, however, you will develop great arm muscles.  Let us all know how your appointment goes.  Ask lots of questions and have your xrays explained especially any differences as time passes.  I have crossed my fingers for you.  Good luck.

• Posted

I doubt you'll be able to drive in the boot, but I don't have a car so I wouldn't know - when I broke my foot I just used buses and taxis for 7 weeks! I have heard of people driving in the moon boot, but it probably depends on what injury you have and whether you're allowed to put weight/pressure on your foot. Are you in the UK? I think they usually only do surgery for nondisplaced fractures if it doesn't heal naturally - I was just given a moon boot for six and a half weeks (although mine wasn't a 5th metatarsal fracture).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.